2014-15 Mountain West Men's Basketball Weekly Release - Postseason
|2015 Postseason Schedule|
|Wednesday, March 18 - National Invitation Tournament - First Round||Broadcast||Time|
|No. 8 South Dakota State at No. 1 Colorado State||ESPNU||8 p.m. MT|
|Wednesday, March 18 - NCAA Tournament - First Four||Broadcast||Time|
|No. 11 Boise State vs. No. 11 Dayton||truTV||9:10 p.m. ET|
|Friday, March 20 - NCAA Tournament - East Region||Broadcast||Time|
|No. 5 UNI vs. No. 12 Wyoming||TBS||10:40 a.m. PT|
|Friday, March 20 - NCAA Tournament - South Region||Broadcast||Time|
|No. 8 San Diego State vs. No. 9 St. John's||CBS||9:40 p.m. ET|
Three teams will represent the Mountain West in the 2015 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship with Sunday's bracket announcement. Mountain West tournament champion Wyoming received the league's automatic bid and will be joined in the 68-team field by MW regular-season co-champions Boise State and San Diego State, both of whom received at-large bids.
In addition, Colorado State was awarded the top seed in the National Invitation Tournament, bringing the total number of Mountain West postseason participants to four.
NATIONAL INVITATION TOURNAMENT
No. 8 South Dakota State at No. 1 Colorado State - First Round
Wednesday, March 18 – 8 p.m. MT
Moby Arena – Fort Collins, Colo.
Top seed Colorado State (27-6) will host No. 8 seed and Summit League regular-season co-champion South Dakota State (23-10) in first-round action of the NIT on Wednesday, March 18. The game will be televised on ESPNU with a start time of 8 p.m. MT. The Rams are making their first NIT appearance since 2011, and eighth overall.
A Closer Look at Colorado State:
- Colorado State vs. 2015 NIT field: 2-0 (1-0 vs. Montana; 1-0 vs. UTEP).
- This will be Colorado State’s first matchup with South Dakota State.
- The winner of the Colorado State-South Dakota State game will face the winner of the Saint Mary’s-Vanderbilt contest in second-round action between the dates of Mar. 20-23.
- The Rams hold a 2-1 record in three outings against the Gaels, with the last matchup ending in a 61-60 CSU victory on Dec. 29, 1984 in Moraga.
- Colorado State has never played Vanderbilt.
No. 8 Seed San Diego State Aztecs vs. No. 9 Seed St. John’s Red Storm - South Region
Friday, March 20 – 9:40 p.m. ET
Time Warner Cable Arena – Charlotte, N.C.
Number 8 seed San Diego State (26-8) received its fourth straight NCAA at-large selection after capturing a share of the Mountain West regular-season crown and advancing to the championship of the MW tournament. The Aztecs will square off against No. 9 seed and Big East Conference at-large selection St. John’s (21-11) in the South Region on Friday, March 20 at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, N.C. CBS will carry the broadcast, which is set to begin at 9:40 p.m. ET
San Diego State is making a school-record sixth straight appearance, and 12th overall, in the NCAA tournament, including Sweet 16 runs in 2011 and 2014. The Aztecs are 5-11 in NCAA tournament action overall.
A Closer Look at San Diego State:
- San Diego State vs. 2015 NCAA tournament field: 4-5 (0-1 vs. Arizona; 1-0 vs. BYU; 0-2 vs. Boise State; 0-1 vs. Cincinnati; 1-0 vs. Utah; 2-1 vs. Wyoming).
- This will be San Diego State's first outing against St. John’s.
- The winner of the San Diego State-St. John’s game will face one of three potential opponents in third-round action: No. 1 seed Duke, or the winner between No. 16 seeds North Florida and Robert Morris. North Florida and Robert Morris square off in First Four action on Wednesday, March 18, with the winner of that game advancing to play Duke in Friday’s second round. The winner of that contest will meet up with San Diego State or St. John’s on Sunday, March 22.
- The Blue Devils received an at-large berth out of the Atlantic Coast Conference, while the Ospreys and Colonials earned automatic bids after capturing the Atlantic Sun and Northeast conference tournament crowns, respectively.
- San Diego State lost its only meeting with Duke, a 92-79 setback on Dec. 29, 2001 in Durham.
- San Diego State won its lone meeting with North Florida, defeating the Ospreys 90-79 in San Diego.
- San Diego State has never faced Robert Morris.
No. 11 Boise State Broncos vs. No. 11 Dayton Flyers - First Four - East Region
Wednesday, March 18 – 9:10 p.m. ET
Dayton Arena – Dayton, Ohio
Number 11 seed Boise State (25-8) received its second NCAA at-large selection in three years after capturing a share of the Mountain West regular-season crown and advancing to the semifinals of the MW tournament. The Broncos will take on No. 11 seed and Atlantic 10 Conference at-large selection Dayton (25-8) in the East Region as part of the First Four on Wednesday, March 18. The contest is set to begin at 9:10 p.m. ET and will be televised on TruTV.
This marks the seventh NCAA tournament appearance all-time for the Broncos, who are 0-6 in their previous six trips to the Big Dance.
A Closer Look at Boise State:
- Boise State vs. 2015 NCAA tournament field: 2-3 (0-1 vs. N.C. State; 2-0 vs. San Diego State; 0-1 vs. Wisconsin; 0-1 vs. Wyoming).
- This will be Boise State’s first meeting with Dayton.
- The winner of the Boise State-Dayton game will take on No. 6 seed Providence in second-round action on Friday March 20, with the victor of that contest advancing to play the winner of No. 3 Oklahoma vs. No. 14 Albany on Sunday, March 22.
- Providence (22-11) and Oklahoma are at-large selections out of the Big East and Big 12 conferences, respectively, while Albany earned an automatic bid after winning the America East Conference tournament.
- Boise State has never played Providence or Oklahoma.
- The Broncos have won both of their meetings with the Great Danes, the last a 74-68 decision on Dec. 22, 2007 in Albany.
No. 12 Wyoming Cowboys vs. No. 5 UNI Panthers - East Region
Friday, March 20 – 10:40 a.m. PT
Key Arena – Seattle, Wash.
No. 12 seed Wyoming (25-9) will be dancing for the first time since 2002 and 15th time in program history after claiming the Mountain West tournament title to earn the league’s automatic bid. The Cowboys will take on Missouri Valley Conference automatic bid recipient and No. 5 seed UNI (30-3) in the East Region on Friday, March 20 at Key Arena in Seattle, Wash. Tip time is set for 10:40 a.m. PT and will be televised on TBS.
Wyoming holds a 9-19 all-time record in the NCAA tournament, including a national championship in 1943 and a Sweet 16 appearance in 1987.
A Closer Look at Wyoming:
- Wyoming vs. 2015 NCAA tournament field: 3-3 (1-0 vs. Boise State; 1-0 vs. New Mexico State; 1-2 vs. San Diego State; 0-1 vs. SMU).
- Wyoming holds a 3-1 record vs. UNI, with its last meeting coming in the form of a 72-54 loss in Cedar Falls on Dec. 23, 2009.
- The winner of the Wyoming-UNI game will take on the winner of the No. 4 Louisville (24-8) vs. No. 13 UC Irvine (21-12) matchup on Sunday, March 22.
- The Cardinals received an at-large bid out of the Atlantic Coast Conference, while the Anteaters earned an automatic bid after capturing the Big West Conference tournament crown.
- Wyoming is 0-4 vs. Louisville with its most recent matchup ending in a 72-55 loss for the Cowboys on Dec. 18, 1993 in Laramie.
- The Pokes and Anteaters split their only two meetings, with each team winning on its home court in 2010 (Dec. 10, 83-68 in Irvine) and 2011 (Dec. 13, 58-48 in Laramie).