Mountain West Men's Basketball Weekly Release
|UPCOMING MOUNTAIN WEST MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE|
|Thursday, December 10
|Southern at Wyoming
||ROOT SPORTS||7 p.m. MT
|Nicholls State at San Diego State
||MWN - Campus Insiders||7 p.m. PT
|Saturday, December 12
|Army at Air Force
||ESPN3||2 p.m. MT
|Pacific at Fresno State
||MWN - Institutional||4 p.m. PT
|Drake at Nevada
||MWN - Institutional||4 p.m. PT
|#24/23 Oregon at Boise State
||CBS Sports Network||5 p.m. MT
|UNLV at UC Riverside
||BigWest.TV||7 p.m. PT
|Northern Iowa at New Mexico||ESPN3||7 p.m. MT
|UC Irvine at Utah State
||ROOT SPORTS||7 p.m. MT
|Sunday, December 13
|Montana State at San José State
||MWN - Institutional
||2 p.m. PT|
|Colorado State at Northern Colorado||5 p.m. MT|
|Wyoming at New Mexico State||ESPN3||7 p.m. MT|
Mountain West 3-Pointers
AIR FORCE (6-3, 0-0 MW)
- Air Force returns home to take on Army after splitting a two-game road trip. AFA is 5-0 at home this season, which represents the longest home win streak by the Falcons since the end of the 2013-14 season and beginning of the 2014-15 campaign (6). The last time they opened a season 6-0 at home was 2007, when they won 15 straight to open the year.
- AFA has won 14 of its last 15 nonconference home games, with the lone loss coming last December vs. UC Davis (81-75).
- The Falcons have played in five games decided by four points or fewer this season. In those contests, Air Force has compiled a 4-1 record. The lone loss came in the season opener at Southern Illinois (77-75). The four AFA victories have come against Mississippi Valley State (65-64), New Mexico State (66-64), The Citadel (97-93) and at Denver (61-59).
BOISE STATE (6-4, 0-0 MW)
- Boise State has won 12 straight home contests. The Broncos last defeat at Taco Bell Arena was Jan. 3, 2015 vs. Utah State (62-61). This is the longest home win streak in the Mountain West. The Broncos will have a chance to run the streak to 13 in a row with a home contest on Dec. 12 vs. #24/23 Oregon.
- The Broncos are searching for their third victory over an Associated Press Top 25 team under head coach Leon Rice. Boise State defeated #24/22 San Diego State (56-46) on Feb. 28, 2015 and #11/11 Creighton (83-70) on Nov. 28, 2012.
- Senior Anthony Drmic is one steal shy of 100 for his career. Drmic will join Coby Karl, son of Sacramento Kings coach George Karl, as the only Broncos to record 1,500 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists and 100 steals in their careers.
COLORADO STATE (6-3, 0-0 MW)
- In two of the last three seasons, Colorado State has led the Mountain West in scoring. In 2014-15, the Rams scored 2,454 points in 34 games (72.2) and in 2012-13 they scored 2,553 in 35 contests (72.9). Through nine games this season, CSU is averaging 89.0 points, which leads the MW and ranks ninth nationally.
- CSU travels 45 minutes southeast to face Northern Colorado in Greeley. The Rams have won five straight against the Bears and hold a 66-35 advantage in the series.
- Senior guard Gian Clavell is second in the Mountain West scoring 21.1 points per game. He has scored at least 20 points in six of nine contests this season. He is one of two MW players averaging more than 20 points per game.
FRESNO STATE (6-3, 0-0 MW)
- Senior guard Marvelle Harris has scored at least 10 points in 36 straight regular season games, and in 38 of the Bulldogs’ last 41 contests. Harris is averaging 19.4 points per game to begin the 2015-16 campaign.
- The Bulldogs opened the season 5-0, but have since lost three of their last four contests, including two straight. Fresno State will look to get back on track with a season-long four-game home stand, which begins on Saturday Dec. 12 vs. Pacific.
- Fresno State has scored at least 80 points on four occasions this season, which is one more than it did in 2014-15. Under head coach Rodney Terry, the Bulldogs are 19-2 when scoring 80 or more points.
NEVADA (6-3, 0-0 MW)
- Nevada leads the nation in blocked shots per game (7.9) and total blocks (71). If the Wolf Pack keep up this pace, they will set the Mountain West single-season blocked shots record, which is 223 by UNLV last season. The program record is 192 in 2007-08.
- Wolf Pack freshman forward Cameron Oliver leads the Mountain West and ranks 16th nationally with a 2.67 blocks per contest average. Oliver’s total blocks (24) rank ninth in Division I and are the second-most by a freshman, trailing St. John’s Yankuba Sima (33).
- In their last outing, the Wolf Pack scored 119 points on Fresno Pacific, the most by a Nevada squad since scoring 120 vs. Loyola Marymount on Nov. 29, 1991. The 119 points are tied for fifth-most by a MW institution and the most since UNLV’s Conference-record 124 vs. Central Arkansas on Dec. 29, 2011.
NEW MEXICO (5-2, 0-0 MW)
- The Lobos will play one game this week, as they host Northern Iowa on Saturday, Dec. 12. UNM already holds a 1-0 advantage over institutions from the Missouri Valley this season, as it defeated Loyola University Chicago on Nov. 18, as a part of the MW/MVC Challenge.
- New Mexico has the best 3-point defense in the Mountain West, limiting its opponents to just 28.7 percent shooting from long distance. In the Lobos last outing at Purdue, they held the Boilermakers to 3-of-21 shooting from beyond the arc. Entering the game, Purdue was averaging 10.1 made 3-pointers per contest.
- The Lobos have won seven consecutive games in The Pit. UNM was last defeated at home on Feb. 21, 2015 by UNLV (76-68).
SAN DIEGO STATE (6-4, 0-0 MW)
- The Aztecs are in the midst of a season-long five-game home stand, which includes upcoming games against Grand Canyon (Dec. 18), #2/7 Kansas (Dec. 22) and Wyoming (Dec. 30). SDSU is 4-1 at Viejas Arena this season.
- A victory over Nicholls State on Thursday, Dec. 10 would give the Aztecs their second consecutive win this season, which would tie for their longest win streak this year.
- San Diego State is one of the best teams nationally at getting to the free throw line, ranking eighth with 252 attempts. The Aztecs rank 12th nationally with 180 made free throws, but rank 111th with a 71.4 percentage from the charity stripe.
SAN JOSÉ STATE (4-5, 0-0 MW)
- Senior forward Frank Rogers has racked up five double-doubles this season, including four straight before failing to do so at Marquette. This leads the Mountain West and is tied for 11th nationally. He became the first Spartan player with four consecutive double-doubles since 2012-13.
- SJSU returns home for a rematch vs. Montana State, which defeated the Spartans on Nov. 20 (81-69). A victory on Sunday would give the Spartans their third home victory this year, the most in a single-season since 2013-14 (4).
- SJSU leads the Mountain West, averaging 16.4 assists per contest. It also leads the Conference with 148 total helpers, a figure that ranks 33rd nationally.
UNLV (7-2, 0-0 MW)
- The Rebels finish off a three-game trip away from the Thomas & Mack Center with a trip to UC Riverside on Saturday, Dec. 12. UNLV has a 4-2 record away from its home court this season.
- The Rebels are averaging 18.1 forced turnovers per game, a figure that ranks 11th nationally. In nine games, they’ve registered 82 total steals, which also ranks 11th in Division I. UNLV leads the Mountain West in both categories.
- Sophomore guard Patrick McCaw ranks sixth nationally (as of Dec. 10), averaging three steals per contest. This season, McCaw has recorded 27 total steals. Both figures lead the MW.
UTAH STATE (5-2, 0-0 MW)
- Utah State has wrapped up a three-game road trip (1-2) and will return to Logan for four straight contests, beginning with UC Irvine on Saturday, Dec. 12. The Aggies are a perfect 3-0 at home this season.
- On the year, the Aggies are outscoring their opponent 247-212 in the first half and are 5-0 when leading at the intermission. When trailing at half, USU is 0-2 on the season.
- Junior guard Shane Rector has won two games for Utah State at the free throw line. In the Aggies opener at Weber State, Rector hit two free throws to push the lead to three and ultimately win the game. In USU’s road contest at Missouri State, Rector made another pair of free throws with three seconds remaining to earn a 69-68 victory. With less than a minute to play, Rector is a perfect 4-for-4 from the charity stripe.
WYOMING (5-3, 0-0 MW)
- The Cowboys had their 16-game nonconference home win streak snapped against nationally-ranked California on Dec. 5. They’ll look to begin a new streak with a home contest vs. Southern on Thursday, Dec. 10.
- At home in November and December, Wyoming has a 47-2 record under head coach Larry Shyatt. Overall under Shyatt in those two months, the Cowboys are 56-13.
- Senior guard Josh Adams leads the Mountain West and ranks sixth nationally, averaging 24.9 points per game. On the season, Adams has scored more than 30 points twice and at least 20 on five occasions.