Mountain West Football Championship Release
|SPORTS AUTHORITY MOUNTAIN WEST FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
|Saturday, December 5
|Air Force at San Diego State
||ESPN2||4:30 p.m. PT
||SIRIUS 108/XM 201
COUNTDOWN TO SPORTS AUTHORITY MW CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Air Force and San Diego State will play in the 2015 Sports Authority Mountain West Football Championship Game on Saturday, December 5. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. PT at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, California and will be televised on ESPN2.
Air Force clinched the Mountain Division crown by virtue of its 37-30 victory at Boise State two weeks ago, combined with Colorado State’s 28-21 win over New Mexico in Albuquerque on Nov 21. The Falcons, who are currently 6-2 in MW play (8-4 overall), are seeking their first Mountain West football title and fourth overall league crown. The last time the Falcons won a conference football championship was in 1998 when they defeated BYU 20-13.
San Diego State secured the West Division after Utah State’s 31-27 victory over Nevada on Nov. 21. The Aztecs are 8-0 in MW play (9-3 overall). SDSU is in search of its first outright Mountain West football championship. It would also be the Aztecs first outright football title overall since 1986.
Air Force and San Diego State did not meet this season. The Falcons hold a 19-14 series advantage over the Aztecs, including an 11-6 record at home. SDUS holds the advantage in San Diego, 8-7 and is currently riding a 5-game win streak in the series with Air Force.
CHAMPIONSHIP GAME MEDIA AVAILABILITY
Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun and San Diego State head coach Rocky Long as well as one offensive and one defensive player from each team, will be available on Fri., Dec. 5 prior to the Sports Authority MW Football Championship Game. Details will be made available by the Conference office.
San Diego State (9-3), Air Force (8-4), Boise State (8-4), Colorado State (7-5), New Mexico (7-5), Nevada (6-6) and Utah State (6-6) are all bowl eligible this season.
The Falcons have qualified for the postseason in eight of the last nine years, while the Broncos have played in a bowl game in each of the last 13 seasons. The Aztecs are bowl eligible for the sixth straight year, while the Rams qualify for the postseason for the third consective year. Wolf Pack are eligible for a bowl for the 10th time in the last 11 seasons and the Aggies have earn bowl-eligibility for a program record fifth straight time. The Lobos have reached the six win mark for the first time since 2007.
Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, Nevada, New Mexico, San Diego State and Utah State are seven of the 75 teams in the FBS to have qualified for postseason in 2015.
2015 marks the eighth straight year the MW has sent at least five teams to bowls and 11th time since the league’s inception in 1999. It also marked the fourth straight season that six or more MW squads advanced to the postseason. In all three years since the Mountain West went to 12 teams and two divisions, it has had seven bowl-eligible teams to set a MW record.
The Mountain West posted a 3-4 bowl record (.429) in 2014. Overall, the Mountain West has earned 69 bowl bids since 1999 and holds a 38-31 (.551) all-time record. The league has also posted an overall postseason mark of at least .500 in eight of the last 11 seasons.
Over the last 11 seasons, the Mountain West has captured the Bowl Challenge Cup four times and owns the second-best win percentage in bowl games among the 10 FBS conferences with a 31-23 mark (.574) during that span. The MW is the only conference to win the trophy four times since the award’s inception in 2002-03.
#HIGHLIGHTS (CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION)
(Notes about Air Force and San Diego State in 140 characters or less)
- .@GoAztecs are the 10th team in @MountainWest history to go undefeated in regular season League play. Last to do it was TCU in 2011.
- Both @AFFootball and @GoAztecs are searching for their first ouright @MountainWest football championship.
- A victory in the Sports Authority @MountainWest Championship would give @GoAztecs its first 10-win season since 1977 (10-1)
- .@AFFootball has scored in 288 straight games, the 3rd-longest active streak. The last game w/out a point was the 1992 Liberty Bowl.
- .@GoAztecs have scored in 17 consecutive quarters.
- .@GoAztecs have scored at least 30 points in six consecutive games.
- .@AFFootball is 5-1 this season when producing a 100-yard rusher and have won 11 of 12 such contests dating back to 2013.
- .@GoAztecs RB Donnel Pumphrey is 1 of 3 active players to rush for 4,000 yds in his career (4,083). In MW history, he is 2nd to eclipse 4,000.
- Against @USUFootball, @AFFootball WR Jalen Robinette had 210 rec. yards, the 3rd-most in school history and the most by a Falcon since 1978.
- .@GoAztecs have won 16 straight home games vs. unranked Conference opponents, which is tied for the 2nd-longest active streak with Alabama.
- .@GoAztecs are the only FBS squad to rattle off eight straight wins by at least 10 points.
- The Falcons are the fifth-least penalized team in the country, having only been flagged 47 times.
- .@AFFootball ranks third nationally, allowing only 3.67 tackles for loss/gm. On the other side of the ball, @GoAztecs average 7.4 TFL/game.
- .@GoAztecs haven’t thrown an interception in 10 straight games.
- The @GoAztecs defense has picked off at least one pass in seven straight games. In that stretch, they’ve recorded 15 INTs.
- .@GoAztecs DB Damontae Kazee is tied for third nationally with 7 interceptions.
- The 31 total takeaways @GoAztecs have recorded rank first among all FBS teams.
- .@AFFootball RB Timothy McVey is believed to be the 1st Falcon to record 100+ rec. & rush yds in a single game (105 rush, 157 rec. at UNM).
- Also vs. UNM, McVey scored 5 TDs, tied for the 2nd-most in a single game in program history.
- When limiting opponents to fewer than 20 points, @AFFootball is 36-2 under head coach @CoachTCalhoun.
- .@AFFootball has not held a lead in 3 of its 6 road games this season.
- .@AFFootball’s 34.4 scoring average ranks second in the @MountainWest.
- .@AFFootball DB Roland Ladipo ranks ninth averaging 1.6 PBUs per contest. This also ranks first in the @MountainWest.
- Six @AFFootball players have rushed for at least 100 yards in a game this season, a figure that leads the country.
- .@GoAztecs Rashaad Penny ranks 2nd in FBS w/ a 32.5 kickoff return average. Penny has returned 2 kicks for TDs, which ranks 5th nationally.