Mountain West Football Players of the Week - Week 2
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – San Diego State senior running back Donnel Pumphrey has been named the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while Boise State sophomore cornerback Tyler Horton was tabbed the Defensive Player of the Week and Aztec junior kick returner Rashaad Penny earned Special Teams Player of the Week honors. It is the fifth career Mountain West weekly accolade for Pumphrey, the first for Horton and the second for Penny.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
DONNEL PUMPHREY, SAN DIEGO STATE
Senior, Running Back, Las Vegas, Nevada / Canyon Springs HS
- Rushed for a career-high 281 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 29 carries (9.7 avg.) in San Diego State's 45-40 win over California.
- The 281 rushing yards were the fifth-most in a game in SDSU program history and the most in the country this season by 32 yards.
- Broke Marshall Faulk's (4,589) career rushing record and now has 4,651 for his career.
- Eclipsed 100 yards rushing for the 23rd time of his career.
- Also had a team-high-tying four catches for 29 yards.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
TYLER HORTON, BOISE STATE
Sophomore, Cornerback, Fresno, California / Edison HS
- Recorded his first-career interception and five tackles (three solo) in Boise State’s 31-28 victory over Washington State.
- On the game’s opening drive, intercepted a pass and returned it 85 yards for a touchdown to give the Broncos a 7-0 lead.
- Marked the longest pick-six since former Bronco Jamar Taylor's 100-yard return for a touchdown on Dec. 22, 2011 against Arizona State in the MAACO Bowl Las Vegas.
- The interception return was the sixth-longest in Boise State history.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
RASHAAD PENNY, SAN DIEGO STATE
Junior, Kick Returner, Norwalk, California / Norwalk HS
- Returned a first-quarter kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown in San Diego State’s 45-40 win over California. He was not kicked to the remainder of the contest.
- The kickoff return touchdown was the fourth of his career, moving him into first place in program history.
- Added a 25-yard touchdown reception in the game’s opening quarter.