Mountain West Football Weekly Release
|MOUNTAIN WEST FOOTBALL WEEK 9 SCHEDULE|
|Friday, October 30
|Wyoming at Utah State*
||ESPN2||8:15 p.m. MT
||SIRIUS 84/XM 84
|Saturday, October 31
|RV/NR Boise State at UNLV*
||ESPNU||12:30 p.m. PT
||SIRIUS 134/XM 201
|San Diego State at Colorado State*
||CBS Sports Network||1:30 p.m. MT
||SIRIUS 145/XM 203
|Air Force at Hawai‘i*
||CBS Sports Network||4:30 p.m. HT
NO FLY ZONE
The Boise State starting secondary has recorded more career interceptions than any other starting secondary in the nation. Made up of Darian Thompson, Donte Deayon, Jonathan Moxey and Dylan Sumner-Gardner, the Broncos have 39 career picks. Thompson has 18 career interceptions, the most among FBS defenders and tied for most by a MW defender all-time, while Deayon has 17 career interceptions, which is tied for the second-most in Mountain West history and tied for second-most among active NCAA defenders. Moxey has the other four interceptions for Boise State.
JIM THORPE AWARD SEMIFINALIST
Boise State’s Darian Thompson was named a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, an honor given to the nation’s top defensive back. Thompson, who leads the Broncos with 49 tackles and four interceptions, is one of 16 semifinalists for the honor. The three Thorpe Award finalists will be named on Nov. 23 and the winner will be announced at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on ESPN on Dec. 10.
(Notes from around the Mountain west in 140 characters or less)
- .@USUFootball defeated #21/20 @BroncoSportsFB on Oct. 16 for its first home win over a ranked opponent since 1991.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB’s Tyler Ervin has rushed for 1,159 yards, which ranks 2nd nationally. He is just the Spartans 11th 1,000-yard rusher.
- .@wyo_football RB Brian Hill ranks 4th nationally with 1,061 rushing yds and is the Cowboy’s 1st 1,000-yd rusher since 2008.
- The MW is 1 of 2 conferences, joining the SEC, with two 1,000-yd RBs. Wyo’s Hill has rushed for 1,061 yds and SJSU’s Ervin has racked up 1,159 yds.
- .@BroncoSportsFB ranks second nationally with 14 INTs in 2015.
- .@BroncoSportsFB’s Darian Thompson, a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, has 18 career INTs, which ties the @MountainWest record held by Utah’s Eric Weddle.
- .@BroncoSportFB’s Donte Deayon has 17 career INTs, 1 behind his teammate and Utah’s Eric Weddle
- .@BroncoSportsFB Thompson (18) & Deayon (17) are 1st & T-2nd nationally in active career INTs. The starting BSU secondary leads the nation with 39 career INTs.
- .@BroncoSportsFB has won 18-consecutive home games, tied for the 2nd-longest streak with Florida State and behind Baylor (20).
- .@CSUFootball’s Rashard Higgins has caught at least one pass in 32 consecutive games, a streak which is T-9th in FBS & the most in the MW.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB has been ranked in the top-5 nationally for pass defense each week since 9/20/14.
- In its last 20 games, @SJSUSpartanFB has only allowed 112.3 passing yards per game.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB’s Ervin is the 10th MW player to rush for at least 200 yards twice in a season. He rushed for 300 yds vs. FS & 263 vs. UNM.
- The 300 rushing yards are the most in the FBS this season.
- Ervin has 14 total TDs, 5 shy of the @SJSUSpartanFB record held by Johnny Johnson, Jr., who scored 19 times in 1988.
- Through 7 games, @AFFootball has run 508 offensive plays, 432 of which have been runs (.850).
- Senior @CSUFootball linebacker Cory James has 23 career sacks, only 5.5 away from tying the MW record, which was set in 2009.
- James’ 23 career sacks are tied for fourth-most by an active FBS defender.
- In his time as an OC and HC at @BroncoSportsFB, Bryan Harsin is 8-2 against autonomous 5 competition.
- .@BroncoSportsFB is coming off their 13th consecutive bowl apperance, an active streak that ties for seventh nationally.
- Boise State boasts the highest win percentage since 2000, having won 172 of 202 contests for a mark of .851.
- .@USUFootball’s Kent Myers rushed for 191 yds vs. @CSUFootball, the most rushing yards by an FBS QB this season and a program record.