Mountain West Football Weekly Release
|MOUNTAIN WEST FOOTBALL WEEK 12 SCHEDULE|
|Friday, November 20
|Air Force at Boise State*
||ESPN2||7:30 p.m. MT
||SIRIUS 108/XM 108
|Saturday, November 21
|Fresno State at BYU||BYU TV/ESPN3||1 p.m. MT
||SIRIUS 143/XM 143
|Nevada at Utah State*
||ESPN3||1:30 p.m. MT
|Colorado State at New Mexico*
||ROOT SPORTS/MWN||3:30 p.m. MT
|San José State at Hawai‘i*
||TWC Oceanic||6:15 p.m. HT
|San Diego State at UNLV*
||CBS Sports Network||7:30 p.m. PT
COUNTDOWN TO SPORTS AUTHORITY MW CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
The 2015 Sports Authority Mountain West Football Championship game will kick off at 5:30 p.m. MT / 4:30 p.m. PT / 2:30 p.m. HT on Saturday, December 5 and be televised by ESPN2. The contest will be hosted at the home stadium of the regular-season divisional champion with the highest College Football Playoff ranking.
MOUNTAIN DIVISION-CLINCHING SCENARIOS
Boise State: wins the division with victories over Air Force and San José State and a loss by New Mexico in one of its last two games.
Air Force: wins the division with victories over Boise State and New Mexico. Wins the division with a victory at Boise State and a New Mexico loss against Colorado State. Wins the division with a loss at Boise State, a victory at New Mexico and the Broncos loss at San José State.
New Mexico: wins the division with a victories over Colorado State and Air Force.
WEST DIVISION-CLINCHING SCENARIOS
San Diego State: wins the division with a win over UNLV or Nevada or a Nevada loss at Utah State.
Nevada: wins the division with wins over Utah State and San Diego State and the Aztecs lose at UNLV.
Air Force (7-3), Boise State (7-3), San Diego State (7-3), Nevada (6-4) and New Mexico (6-4) are all bowl eligible this season.
The Falcons have qualified for the postseason in eight of the last nine years, while the Broncos have played in a bowl game in each of the last 13 seasons. The Aztecs became bowl eligible for the sixth straight year after last week’s 38-3 victory over Wyoming. Nevada and New Mexico also became bowl eligible last week with victories over San José State (37-34 in OT) and Boise State (31-24), respectively. The Wolf Pack are potentially bowl eligible for the 10th time in the last 11 seasons, while the Lobos reached the six win mark for the first time since 2007.
Air Force, Boise State, Nevada, New Mexico and San Diego State are five of the 62 teams in the FBS to have qualified for postseason play through the first 11 weeks of the 2015 campaign.
The Mountain West sent a record seven teams into postseason bowl games in 2014, posting a 3-4 record (.429). Overall, the Mountain West has earned 69 bowl bids since 1999 and holds a 38-31 (.551) all-time record. The league has also posted an overall postseason mark of at least .500 in eight of the last 11 seasons.
The 2015 postseason will mark the ninth straight year the MW has sent at least five teams to bowls and 12th time since the league’s inception in 1999.
Over the last 11 seasons, the Mountain West has captured the Bowl Challenge Cup four times and owns the second-best win percentage in bowl games among the 10 FBS conferences with a 31-23 mark (.574) during that span. The MW is the only conference to win the trophy four times since the award’s inception in 2002-03.
(Notes from around the Mountain west in 140 characters or less)
- .@CSUFootball & @USUFootball are seeking bowl eligibility in Week 12. Entering the week, @MountainWest has 5 bowl-eligible teams.
- The @MountainWest is home to 2 of the nation’s top 10 longest home win streaks in @USUFootball (13) and @AFAFootball (12).
- .@GoAztecs have won 4 straight games by 23+ points, the longest streak nationally.
- In 6 consecutive games, the @GoAztecs have rushed for more than 200 yards, the longest stretch in SDSU’s D-I history.
- .@wyo_football RB Brian Hill ranks 4th nationally with 1,399 rushing yds and is 57 yds shy of program single-season record.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB’s Tyler Ervin has rushed for 1,303 yards, which ranks 8th nationally. He is just the Spartans 11th 1,000-yard rusher.
- .@BroncoSportsFB is second nationally with 17 INTs in 2015. @GoAztecs are 4th with 16 picks.
- .@BroncoSportsFB’s Darian Thompson, a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, has 19 career INTs, a @MountainWest record.
- .@BroncoSportsFB Thompson (19) & Deayon (17) are 1st & T-2nd nationally in active career INTs. The starting BSU secondary leads the nation with 40 career INTs.
- .@CSUFootball’s Rashard Higgins has caught at least one pass in 35 consecutive games, a streak which is T-11th in FBS & the most in the MW.
- .@BroncoSportsFB QB Brett Rypien threw for a @MountainWest freshman record 469 yards at UNLV on Oct. 31.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB has been ranked in the top-5 nationally for pass defense each week since 9/20/14.
- In its last 22 games, @SJSUSpartanFB has only allowed 123.4 passing yards per game.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB’s Ervin is the 10th MW player to rush for at least 200 yards twice in a season. He rushed for 300 yds vs. FS & 263 vs. UNM.
- The 300 rushing yards are the most in the FBS this season.
- Ervin has 14 total TDs, 5 shy of the @SJSUSpartanFB record held by Johnny Johnson, Jr., who scored 19 times in 1988.
- Through 10 games, @AFFootball has run 737 offensive plays, 625 of which have been runs (.848).
- Senior @CSUFootball linebacker Cory James has 24 career sacks, only 4.5 away from tying the MW record, which was set in 2009.
- James’ 24 career sacks are tied for fourth-most by an active FBS defender.
- .@GoAztecs QB Maxwell Smith has attempted 144 consecutive passes without throwing an interception.
- Boise State boasts the highest win percentage since 2000, having won 173 of 204 contests for a mark of .848.
- .@NewMexicoFB has won 5 of its last 6 home games since last season. The Lobos have posted 6 total victories in 2015, the most since 2007.
- In the last 22 games, @UNLVFootball has only lost five fumbles. They are tied for first nationally with only two fumbles lost this season.