Mountain West Football Weekly Release
|MOUNTAIN WEST FOOTBALL WEEK 5 SCHEDULE|
|Saturday, October 3
|San José State at Auburn
||3 p.m. CT
||SIRIUS 83/XM 190
|Air Force at Navy
||CBS Sports Network
||3:30 p.m. ET
||SIRIUS 134/XM 201
|Wyoming at Appalachian State||ESPN3||3:30 p.m. ET
|UNLV at Nevada*
||MWN-Campus Insiders||4 p.m. PT||SIRIUS 132/XM 203|
|Colorado State at Utah State*
||ESPN3||5 p.m. MT|
|New Mexico State at New Mexico||ROOT SPORTS/MWN||6 p.m. MT|
|Fresno State at San Diego State*
||CBS Sports Network||7:30 p.m. PT|
|Hawai‘i at Boise State*
||ESPN2||8:15 p.m. MT||SIRIUS 132/XM 203
The Boise State starting secondary has recorded more career interceptions than any other starting secondary in the nation. Made up of Darian Thompson, Donte Deayon, Jonathan Moxey and Dylan Sumner-Gardner, the Broncos have 35 career picks. Thompson and Deayon both have 16 career interceptions, which is tied for the second-most in Mountain West history and tied for second-most among active NCAA defenders. Moxey has the other three interceptions for Boise State.
UNLV IN THE RECORD BOOK
UNLV rewrote its program record book and the Mountain West’s as they rolled to an 80-8 victory over Idaho State. This was Rebels’ head coach Tony Sanchez first collegiate victory. Below is a look at what the Rebels accomplished this weekend...
Points scored -- 80 (1st)
Margin of victory -- 72 (T1st)
Points in a quarter -- 35 (1st)
Points in a half -- 52 (2nd)
Extra Points made -- 11 by Nicolai Bornand (1st)
FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH
The Mountain West is home to five of the 13 youngest head coaches at the FBS level. Boise State’s Bryan Harsin (38), Nevada’s Brian Polian (40), Colorado State’s Mike Bobo (41), UNLV’s Tony Sanchez (41) and Utah State’s Matt Wells (41) are among the group of 13 coaches who were born in 1973 or later.
(Notes from around the Mountain west in 140 characters or less)
- .@BroncoSportsFB is riding a 21-game home non-conference win streak, dating back to the 2005 MPC Computers Bowl.
- .@BroncoSportsFB has won 16-consecutive home games, the 2nd-longest streak with Florida State and behind Baylor (17).
- .@BroncoSportsFB is coming off their 13th consecutive bowl apperance, an active streak that ties for seventh nationally.
- Boise State boasts the highest win percentage since 2000, having won 170 of 199 contests for a mark of .854.
- In 2015, @USUFootball will play nine opponents that played in bowl games in 2014. This is tied for the fifth-most nationally.
- Through 3 games, @AFFootball has run 210 offensive plays, 183 of which have been runs (.871).
- .@SJSUSpartanFB RB Tyler Ervin was the third MW player to rush for at least 300 yards in a single game. The 300 rushing yards are the most in FBS in ‘15.
- Ervin’s 42 rushing attempts vs. Fresno State (9/26) are the most by an FCS back since Dec. 7, 2013 (Tre Mason - Auburn).
- .@GoAztecs LB Calvin Munson became the 4th MW player to return 2 interceptions for TDs, on his way to becoming MW Defensive POW in Week 1.
- .@GoAztecs’ Damontae Kazee tied the @MountainWest record with three interceptions against San Diego. It is also tied for the most in FBS.
- In his time as an OC and HC at @BroncoSportsFB, Bryan Harsin is 8-2 against autonomous 5 compeitition.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB has been ranked in the top-5 nationally for pass defense each week since 9/20/14.
- In its last 16 games, @SJSUSpartanFB has only allowed 112 passing yards per game.
- .@CSUFootball’s Rashard Higgins has caught at least one pass in 28 consecutive games, a streak which is T-8th in FBS & the most in the MW.
- .@BroncoSportsFB’s Darian Thompson & Donte Deayon have 16 career INTs, 2 away from tying the @MountainWest record held by Utah’s Eric Weddle.
- .@BroncoSportsFB Thompson & Deayon (16) are T-2nd nationally in active career INTs. The starting BSU secondary leads the nation with 35 career INTs.
- Senior @CSUFootball linebacker Cory James has 22 career sacks, only 6.5 away from tying the MW record, which was set in 2009.
- James’ 22 career sacks are the most by an active FBS defender.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB’s Ervin & @BroncoSportsFB’s McNichols are only RBs in FBS with multiple rushing TDs in all 4 games this season.
- .@UNLVFootball set the @MountainWest record scoring 80 points vs. Idaho State on Sept. 26.
- .@UNLVFootball’s Nicolai Bornand set a @MountainWest record, connecting on 11 PATs vs. Idaho State.