'Dogs Season Ends at Saint Mary's, 83-64


MW Postseason Central | @MW_WHoops on Twitter Twitter
2014-15 Standings | Stats | Media Guide | Mountain West Network


MORAGA, Calif. - The Fresno State women's basketball team was unable to overcome a 17-0 first-half run by Saint Mary's and a 20-point difference from the foul line as the Bulldogs fell 83-64 at McKeon Pavilion on Monday night in the second round of the Women's National Invitational Tournament. The 'Dogs finished the season with a 23-10 record.


Senior guard Raven Fox led Fresno State with 22 points, six assists and three steals as she hit 9-of-11 from field. Junior forward Moriah Faulk chipped in 13 points, going 3-of-7 from 3. Four Gaels finished in double figures, paced by Lauren Nicholson's 21. Stella Beck recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.


Saint Mary's finished the game shooting 30-of-38 from the charity stripe, while the 'Dogs were just 10-of-14. The Gaels also held a 38-27 advantage on the glass.


Fresno State's night started off with a timeout less than two minutes into the game after falling behind 6-0. The Bulldogs were able to claw back to tie up the game at 17-17 with 12:54 on the clock as they started the game 3-of-4 from the 3-point line.


But after a layup from Fox that tied the game at that time, the 'Dogs went cold, missing their next 12 shots as Saint Mary's went on a 17-0 run during the ensuing 10 minutes.


Fresno State tried to pull closer toward the end of the half, and with a 3-pointer from Alex Furr to close the half, momentum appeared that it could be turning. Furr's shot at the buzzer brought the team's deficit to 40-27 at the break. Fox ended the first 20 minutes with 14 of the Bulldogs' 27 points.


Saint Mary's responded coming out of the break though, going on a 10-4 run to open the second half. The spurt built the Gaels lead up 19 with under 14 minutes to play.


Fox then sparked a 7-0 run to pull the 'Dogs within 12 at 50-38 with under 12 minutes to go, but that was as close as they would get. Playing an aggressive defense to force turnovers, Saint Mary's capitalized on their chances with open layups along with continuing to hit its free throws which kept the Bulldogs from cutting back into the deficit.