Mountain West Announces 2016 Men's Basketball Bracket
Fresno State will be the 2-seed after a 13-5 Mountain West season. Boise State finished third in the standings and earned the No. 3 seed. New Mexico claims the No. 4 seed, while Nevada will be No. 5. Colorado State and UNLV tied for the 6-seed and the Rams won the head-to-head tiebreaker by virtue of an 0-1 record against Fresno State in comparison to the Rebels’ 0-2 record against the Bulldogs.
Wyoming and Utah State claimed the eight and nine seeds, respectively, while Air Force (10) and San José State (11) round out the bracket.
The 2016 MW Men’s Basketball Championship will be held in Las Vegas at the Thomas & Mack Center, March 9-12. Action gets underway Wednesday, March 9, with three first-round matchups airing on the Mountain West Network. The quarterfinal and semifinal rounds take place on Thursday, March 10 and Friday, March 12, respectively, and will be televised on CBS Sports Network. The championship game will be broadcast on CBS at 3 p.m. PT on Saturday, March 12.
Utah State and Wyoming have met once in the MW tournament, with the Cowboys defeating the Aggies last year in the No. 4-5 game. UNLV and Air Force, which meet in the No. 7 vs. 10 game on Wednesday, will play for the third time in the Conference tournament. The Rebels are 2-0. Colorado State and San José State and New Mexico and Nevada are meeting for the first time in the MW postseason.
MW Championship Notes
- New Mexico and San Diego State have won the most Mountain West tournament titles with four apiece. The Lobos titles came in 2005, 2012, 2013 and 2014, while the Aztecs were victorious in 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2011.
- Overall, the MW tournament has produced seven different champions in 16 years, with the current MW membership accounting for 13 of the 16 titles. New Mexico (4), San Diego State (4) and UNLV are the only current MW teams to have won multiple titles while Colorado State and Wyoming have each captured one crown.
- A Mountain West regular-season champion or co/tri-champion has advanced to the finals of the tournament 12 times in 16 years, winning the crown seven times. New Mexico, San Diego State and UNLV are the only three current MW members to earn a MW regular-season title and tournament crown in the same year. Additionally, the Lobos (2013) and Aztecs (2006) are the only teams to capture the tournament title after winning the regular-season crown outright.
- Each of the top six seeds has won MW tournament titles.
- The No. 7 seed is the lowest seed ever to advance to the championship game (Wyoming in 2006).
- The top two seeds have met seven times in the MW tournament finals, with the No. 2 seed winning all seven meetings.
- San Diego State is the No. 1 seed for the fourth time. As the top seed in the MW tournament, the Aztecs have compiled a 7-2 record.
- With a 13-5 Conference record Fresno State earned the 2-seed, its highest placement in the tournament since joining the MW prior to the 2012-13 season.
- Nevada (0-2) and San José State (0-1) are searching for their first victory in the MW tournament.
MW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TICKET INFORMATION
All-session and single-session tickets for the 2016 Mountain West Men’s Basketball Championship may be purchased at the Thomas & Mack Center box office, online at UNLVTickets.com, by calling 702-739-3267 or 866-388-3267, or by visiting any one of the UNLVTickets outlets in Las Vegas. The Thomas & Mack Center box office will be open Monday, March 7 at 10 a.m. PT.