Mountain West Announces Baseball Player and Pitcher of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Fresno State outfielder Brody Russell has earned Mountain West Baseball Player of the Week, while Bulldog junior Jimmy Lambert was named MW Baseball Pitcher of the Week for games played through Sunday, March 6, 2016. It is the second MW weekly accolade for both players.
BASEBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
BRODY RUSSELL, FRESNO STATE
Senior, Outfielder, Bakersfield, Calif. / Centennial HS
• Led Fresno State to a 3-1 week with a mid-week win over CSU Bakersfield and a 2-1 series win over San Diego State to open Conference action.
• Posted a batting average of .353 (6-for-17) with four runs scored, six runs batted in, one double, one triple, one home run and one walk. Had at least one hit and one run batted in in all four games with a .400 on-base percentage and a .706 slugging percentage. Struck out just once in 18 plate appearances.
• In Tuesday’s 6-4 win against CSUB, was 1-for-3 from the plate with two runs scored and one RBI. His lone hit was a double.
• In Friday’s extra-inning 3-2 victory against the Aztecs, was a season-high 3-for-5, scored two runs and hit a solo home run.
• Was 1-for-4 with two RBI, one sacrifice fly and one triple during Saturday’s 10-5 win over San Diego State.
• Recorded a 1-for-5 outing in the 5-4 loss against SDSU on Sunday. His two-run single put the Bulldogs ahead 3-2.
BASEBALL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
JIMMY LAMBERT, FRESNO STATE
Junior, Right-Handed Pitcher, San Dimas, Calif. / San Dimas HS
• Threw seven innings in Fresno State’s 10-5 victory over San Diego State on March 5.
• Limited the Aztecs to five hits and one unearned run in the game.
• Struck out a career-high nine batters and did not allow a walk.
2016 Mountain West Baseball Players of the Week
Feb. 22 – Adam Groesbeck, Jr., OF, Air Force
Feb. 29 – Chris DeVito, Jr., C/DH, New Mexico
Mar. 7 – Brody Russell, Sr., OF, Fresno State
2016 Mountain West Baseball Pitchers of the Week
Feb. 22 – Anthony Arias, So., LHP, Fresno State
Feb. 29 – Jimmy Lambert, Jr., RHP, Fresno State
Mar. 7 – Jimmy Lambert, Jr., RHP, Fresno State