Mountain West Announces Baseball Player & Pitcher of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – New Mexico designated hitter Lane Milligan has earned Mountain West Baseball Player of the Week, while Fresno State redshirt freshman Anthony Arias was named MW Baseball Pitcher of the Week for games played through Saturday, May 16, 2015. It is the first MW weekly accolade for both student-athletes.
BASEBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
LANE MILLIGAN, NEW MEXICO
Sophomore, Designated Hitter, Englewood, Colorado / Cherry Creek HS
- Led New Mexico to a 2-2 record last week with a win over nationally-ranked Arizona State and a MW series at Fresno State.
- Posted a batting average of .500 (6-for-12) with four runs scored, six runs batted in, one double, one triple, one home run, one stolen base and three walks. Had at least one hit in all four games with a .600 on-base percentage and a 1.000 slugging percentage.
- In Tuesday’s 9-6 win against Arizona State, was 2-for-4 with three runs scored, one double, one walk and one stolen base. Two times he led off the inning with a hit and eventually came around to score.
- Was 1-for-2 with one RBI and one walk during Thursday’s 4-3 loss at Fresno State. He drove in the first Lobo run of the game.
- Recorded a 2-for-4 outing in the 4-0 Friday victory against the Bulldogs. Scored one run, drove in four, hit one triple and one home run. His grand slam in the second inning accounted for all of the scoring in the game.
- Posted a 1-for-2 performance with one RBI and one walk in the 11-2 loss to end the series on Saturday. Drove in UNM’s first run.
BASEBALL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
ANTHONY ARIAS, FRESNO STATE
Redshirt Freshman, Left-Handed Pitcher, Fairfield, California / Fairfield HS
- Earned the 11-2 victory over New Mexico on Saturday.
- Threw six innings in the start, allowing one run on five hits. Four of the five hits were singles.
- Struck out a career-high eight batters and walked one.
- The six innings pitched were a career-long outing.
2015 Mountain West Baseball Players of the Week
Feb. 16 – Brody Russell, Jr., OF, Fresno State
Feb. 23 – Austin Byler, Sr., 1B, Nevada
March 2 – Steven Pallares, Sr., OF, San Diego State
March 9 – Ryan Howell, Jr., 2B, Nevada
March 16 – Bradley Haslam, So., DH, Air Force
March 23 – Kevin Viers, Jr., 1B, Fresno State
March 30 – Cory Voss, Fr., C, New Mexico
April 6 – Tyler Jones, So., OF, Air Force
April 13 – Joey Armstrong, Jr., OF, UNLV
April 20 – Kewby Meyer, Sr., OF, Nevada
April 27 – Jordan Pearce, Fr., DH, Nevada
May 4 – Bryce Greager, Jr., 3B, Nevada
May 11 – Carl Stajduhar, Fr., 3B, New Mexico
May 18 – Lane Milligan, So., DH, New Mexico
2015 Mountain West Baseball Pitchers of the Week
Feb. 16 – Jake Shull, Jr. RHP, Fresno State
Feb. 23 – C.J. Saylor, So., RHP, San Diego State
March 2 – Griffin Jax, So., RHP, Air Force
March 9 – Kenny Oakley, Jr., RHP, UNLV
March 16 – Bubba Derby, Jr., RHP, San Diego State
March 23 – Marcus Reyes, So., LHP, San Diego State
March 30 – Jake Cole, Sr., RHP, New Mexico
April 6 – Christian Stolo, Jr., LHP, Nevada
April 13 – Tyler Stevens, Fr., RHP, New Mexico
April 20 – Toller Boardman, Jr., LHP, New Mexico
April 27 – Mark Seyler, Jr., RHP, San Diego State
May 4 – Jake Shull, Jr., RHP, Fresno State
May 11 – Cody Thompson, So., RHP, San Diego State
May 18 – Anthony Arias, R-Fr., LHP, Fresno State