Mountain West Announces Baseball Player & Pitcher of the Week - April 13
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – UNLV outfielder Joey Armstrong has earned Mountain West Baseball Player of the Week, while New Mexico freshman Tyler Stevens was named MW Baseball Pitcher of the Week for games played through Sunday, April 12, 2015. It is the first MW weekly honor for both student-athletes.
BASEBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
JOEY ARMSTRONG, UNLV
Junior, Outfielder, Woodbridge, Calif. / Lodi HS
- Led UNLV to a 3-1 record last week with a non-conference victory over then-No. 9 Arizona State (7-6) and a 2-1 road series win over Big Ten foe Ohio State.
- As the leadoff hitter for the Rebels, posted a batting average of .471 (8-for-17) with six runs scored, four runs batted in, two stolen bases, one home run, one sacrifice fly and one walk. Had a consistent two hits in each of the four games last week and a .647 slugging percentage.
- Was 2-for-4 with one run scored, one RBI and one sacrifice fly against Arizona State in the game that started on Tuesday and wrapped up Wednesday morning due to a lighting issue.
- Scored the Rebels’ first run against the Sun Devils in the first inning and drove in the second run in the second inning on a sac fly.
- In Friday’s series opener against Ohio State, was 2-for-4 with one run scored, one RBI and one walk in the 6-5 loss. Scored first UNLV run in the first inning and drove in the second run in the second inning on a single to right field.
- Was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and one stolen base in Saturday’s 3-2 win against the Buckeyes.
- Scored the Rebels’ first run in the fourth inning and the game-winning run in the eighth on a sac fly.
- Recorded a 2-for-5 performance in the 7-4 series finale victory on Sunday. Scored two runs, drove in two runs, hit one home run and stole one base.
- In the fifth inning of Sunday’s contest, he crossed home plate for UNLV’s second run of the game and hit his second home run of the season in the sixth inning to give the Rebels a 7-1 lead.
- Made 13 putouts and one error from his center field position.
BASEBALL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
TYLER STEVENS, NEW MEXICO
Freshman, Right-Handed Pitcher, Fort Collins, Colo. / Rocky Mountain HS
- Threw a complete game, one-hitter in Sunday’s 5-0 victory against Air Force.
- Struck out four batters while walking none.
- Faced just one batter over the minimum.
- The lone hit was a one-out single in the fourth with the runner being thrown out trying to stretch the play into a double.
- Retired the final 16 batters he faced and recorded 12 ground-outs.
2015 Mountain West Baseball Players of the Week
Feb. 16 – Brody Russell, Jr., OF, Fresno State
Feb. 23 – Austin Byler, Sr., 1B, Nevada
March 2 – Steven Pallares, Sr., OF, San Diego State
March 9 – Ryan Howell, Jr., 2B, Nevada
March 16 – Bradley Haslam, So., DH, Air Force
March 23 – Kevin Viers, Jr., 1B, Fresno State
March 30 – Cory Voss, Fr., C, New Mexico
April 6 – Tyler Jones, So., OF, Air Force
April 13 – Joey Armstrong, Jr., OF, UNLV
2015 Mountain West Baseball Pitchers of the Week
Feb. 16 – Jake Shull, Jr. RHP, Fresno State
Feb. 23 – C.J. Saylor, So., RHP, San Diego State
March 2 – Griffin Jax, So., RHP, Air Force
March 9 – Kenny Oakley, Jr., RHP, UNLV
March 16 – Bubba Derby, Jr., RHP, San Diego State
March 23 – Marcus Reyes, So., LHP, San Diego State
March 30 – Jake Cole, Sr., RHP, New Mexico
April 6 – Christian Stolo, Jr., LHP, Nevada
April 13 – Tyler Stevens, Fr., RHP, New Mexico