Mountain West Announces Cross Country Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Air Force’s Patrick Corona has been named Mountain West Men’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week, while Courtney Frerichs of New Mexico garnered MW Women’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week honors for meets contested Oct. 2. It is the first-career MW weekly accolade for both Corona and Frerichs.
MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
PATRICK CORONA, AIR FORCE
Senior, Fairfield, Connecticut / Fairfield College Preparatory HS
• Placed fifth out of 106 runners at the Washington Invitational in Seattle on Oct. 2.
• Completed the 8k course in a career-best time of 23:23.1.
• Trimmed nearly 20 seconds off his previous career-best 8k time.
• His time is the fastest by an Air Force runner in the last 20 years.
• Helped the Falcons to fifth-place finish in the team standings.
WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
COURTNEY FRERICHS, NEW MEXICO
Senior, Nixa, Missouri / UMKC
• Placed second at the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational in Indiana on Oct. 2.
• Finished with a time of 16:27, her fastest time over a 5k course in her collegiate career.
• Recorded the second top-two finish of her career at the event after finishing first in 2013.
• Guided the No. 1-ranked Lobos to a first-place finish at the event for the second-consecutive year.