Mountain West Announces Cross Country Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – San José State sophomore Jose Piña was named Mountain West Men’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week, while Boise State sophomore Brenna Peloquin garnered Women’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week accolades for meets contested through Oct. 15. It is the first career Mountain West weekly accolade for Piña and second for Peloquin.
MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
JOSE PIÑA, SAN JOSÉ STATE
Sophomore, San Jose, California / Lincoln HS
- Led San José State to a first-place team finish in both the Bronco Invitational and Santa Clara Duel last Friday in Sunnyvale, California.
- Clocked a career-best time of 23:47.
- The time was his first sub-24 minute 8k in his collegiate career.
- Finished sixth overall in the Bronco Invitational and first in the duel scored against Santa Clara.
WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
BRENNA PELOQUIN, BOISE STATE
Sophomore, Gig Harbor, Washington / Gig Harbor HS
- Captured her second title of the season, winning the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational last Friday in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Finished the 6k course in 20:00.8.
- Moved into first place over the final 800 meters, crossing the finish line 1.1 seconds ahead of New Mexico’s Alice Wright.
- Placed first ahead of runners from 18 nationally ranked programs, including No. 1 Providence, No. 3 NC State and No. 4 Washington.
Men’s Cross Country Athletes of the Week
Sept. 6 – Michael Vennard, Jr., Boise State
Sept. 20 – Jonah Henry, Jr., Wyoming
Sept. 27 – Jerrell Mock, Jr., Colorado State
Oct. 4 – Jerrell Mock, Jr., Colorado State
Oct. 18 – Jose Piña, So., San José State
Women’s Cross Country Athletes of the Week
Sept. 6 – Bailee Parker, Fr., Utah State
Sept. 20 – Annemarie Schwanz, Sr. Fresno State
Sept. 27 – Brenna Peloquin, So., Boise State
Oct. 4 – Alice Wright, Jr., New Mexico
Oct. 18 – Brenna Peloquin, So., Boise State