Mountain West Announces Men's Tennis Player of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Boise State freshman Kyle Butters has been named Mountain West Men’s Tennis Player of the Week for matches played March 23-30. It is the first MW weekly honor in Butters’ career.
MEN’S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KYLE BUTTERS, BOISE STATE
Freshman, Wanganui, New Zealand / Wanganui HS
- Helped lead Boise State to a 2-0 week with road wins over No. 51 UC Santa Barbara (4-3) and No. 67 Cal Poly (4-3) on March 23 and March 26, respectively.
- Went a combined 3-1 in doubles and singles play with his only loss coming to the No. 34-ranked doubles team from UC Santa Barbara, 7-5.
- Recorded match-clinching singles victories in the No. 4 position against both UCSB and Cal Poly.
- Down 3-0 to the Gauchos, Boise State rallied for the win with the clinching point coming from Butters in the final contest of the day. The freshman battled through three tiebreakers and came from one set down to earn the decisive victory over Anders Holm, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3).
- Teamed up with Toby Mitchell to knock off Cal Poly’s top tandem of Ben Donovan and Corey Pang, 6-4.
- Secured the Broncos’ win over the Mustangs with a straight-set singles victory, 6-4, 6-4, against Josh Ortlip.
2016 MW Men’s Tennis Players of the Week
Jan. 20 – Freddy Gelbrich, Sr., San Diego State
Jan. 27 – Nikolas Papic, Sr., Fresno State
Feb. 3 – Jaime Barajas, So., Utah State
Feb. 10 – Jakob Amilon, Jr., UNLV
Feb. 17 – Andrew Parks, Sr., Air Force
Feb. 24 – Romai Ugarte, Fr., Utah State
March 2 – Hayden Sabatka, Jr., New Mexico
March 9 – Jaime Barajas, So., Utah State
March 16 – Bart Van Leijsen, So., New Mexico
March 23 – Jaime Barajas, So., Utah State
March 30 – Kyle Butters, Fr., Boise State