Mountain West Announces Men's And Women's Tennis Players Of The Week - April 21, 2015
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Boise State senior Garrett Patton has been named Mountain West Men’s Tennis Player of the Week, while Fresno State junior Sophie Watts earned MW Women’s Tennis Player of the Week honors for matches played April 15-19. It is the fourth career MW weekly accolade for Patton and fifth for Watts.
MEN’S PLAYER OF THE WEEK
GARRETT PATTON, BOISE STATE
Senior, Boise, Idaho / Boise High School
- Was a combined 4-0 in singles and doubles play to lead Boise State to home victories over Utah State (4-0) and Idaho (6-1).
- Recorded a 6-4, 6-3 victory over the Aggies’ Karan Salwan at No. 1 singles and followed that up with a 6-1, 7-6 (3) win against Idaho’s Odon Barta.
- Paired with Toby Mitchell at No. 1 doubles. The duo secured a 6-1 decision versus Jaime Barajas and Jack Swindells of Utah State. They also turned back Barta and Felipe Fonesca of Idaho 7-5.
WOMEN’S PLAYER OF THE WEEK
SOPHIE WATTS, FRESNO STATE
Junior, Hitchin, England / St. Francis College
- Posted a 2-0 record between the No. 1 singles and No. 2 doubles positions as No. 43 Fresno State topped UNLV 4-1 on April 18 in Las Vegas.
- Playing at the No. 1 singles position, defeated UNLV’s Santa Shumilina in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, to run her consecutive win streak in singles up to 21 matches.
- In doubles, she and twin sister Anneka went 1-0 at the No. 2 slot. They scored a 6-4 win over Shumilina and Paolo Artiga; the sisters’ 12th straight victory.