Mountain West Announces Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Air Force’s Zach Johnson has been named Mountain West Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Mostafa Hassan of Colorado State earned MW Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of Week honors for meets held March 18-26. It is the first career MW weekly accolade for both Johnson and Hassan. On the women’s side, San Diego State’s Ashley Henderson garnered MW Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while teammate Bonnie Draxler was named the Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week for meets contested March 22-26. It is both Henderson and Draxler’s first career MW weekly honor.
MEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
ZACH JOHNSON, AIR FORCE
Junior, Farmington, N.M. / Piedra Vista HS
- Ran the fourth-fastest 200 Meter Dash time in Air Force history to finish second out of 23 runners at the 38th Annual Aztec Invitational on Saturday, March 26. The time of 21.08 ranks first in the Conference this season.
- Was part of the Falcons’ 4x100 Meter Relay team which placed first with a mark of 40.71.
- The 4x100 time is the best in the league in 2016 and also ranks sixth in program history.
- Clocked a wind-aided time of 10.42 to finish third in the 100 Meter Dash. That mark ranks second in the MW this year.
MEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
MOSTAFA HASSAN, COLORADO STATE
Sophomore, Cairo, Egypt / American University Cairo
- Set a new Colorado State program record in the Shot Put with a toss of 64’-1.25” at the Fum McGraw Quadrangular on Friday, March 25.
- The toss won the event by 6’-6.75” and ranks first in the MW and second in the nation this season.
- Recorded a throw of 163’-9.00” in the Discus to place fourth.
- That mark is the third best in the league in 2016.
WOMEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
ASHLEY HENDERSON, SAN DIEGO STATE
Sophomore, St. Louis, Mo. / Hazelwood HS
- Placed first in four events last weekend at the 38th Annual Aztec Invitational.
- Won the open 100 Meter Dash on Friday, March 25, before claiming first in the 100 and 200 Meter Dashes at the Invitational on Saturday, March 26.
- Was part of the Aztecs’ 4x100 Meter Relay team which won the event at the Invitational on Saturday.
- Recorded the top time in the Mountain West this season in the 100 Meters with a mark of 11.29. The time is tied for fifth in the nation in 2016.
- Registered the Conference’s fastest time and the fifth-best mark in the country in the 200 Meters with a clocking of 23.16.
- Ran the opening leg of the 4x100 Meter Relay, helping SDSU win the race with a time of 45.03. That mark is the best in the league this season.
WOMEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
BONNIE DRAXLER, SAN DIEGO STATE
Sophomore, Wrightstown, Wisconsin / Wrightstown HS
- Finished first among collegiate competitors in the Pole Vault at the 38th Annual Aztec Invitational on Saturday, March 26.
- Cleared 13’-8.50” to finish third overall.
- The height is the best in the MW this season and ranks 12th nationally.
2016 MW Men’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Zach Johnson, Jr., Air Force
2016 MW Men’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
2016 MW Women’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Makayla Webb, So., San José State
March 29 – Ashley Henderson, So., San Diego State
2016 MW Women’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Maci Bingham, Sr., Utah State
March 29 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State