Mountain West Announces Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Boise State’s David Elliott has been named Mountain West Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Taylor Smith of Air Force earned MW Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of Week honors for meets held March 30-April 2. It is the second career MW weekly accolade for Elliott and first for Smith. On the women’s side, Air Force’s Hannah Everson garnered MW Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Je’Nia Sears of Fresno State was named the Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week. It is both Everson and Sears’ first career MW weekly honor.
MEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
DAVID ELLIOTT, BOISE STATE
R-Senior, Puyallup, Washington / Squalicum HS
- Broke the Boise State all-time record in the 5,000 Meters with a time of 13:42.17 at the Stanford Invitational on Friday, April 1.
- Finished second among collegiate competitors in the race.
- The time is the best in the Mountain West this season and ranks second nationally.
MEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
TAYLOR SMITH, AIR FORCE
Junior, Clovis, California / Buchanan HS
- Cleared a career-best 7’-1.00” (2.16m) to finish as the top collegiate jumper in the invite section of the High Jump at the Stanford Invitational on Friday, April 1.
- The mark is the second-best height in Academy history and is tied for fourth best in MW annals.
- The clearance ranks first in the league and 15th in the NCAA this season.
WOMEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
HANNAH EVERSON, AIR FORCE
Senior, Colorado Springs, Colorado / Liberty HS
- Shattered her own Air Force record in the 10,000 Meters at the Stanford Invitational on Friday, April 1.
- Crossed the finish line in 33:05.26, knocking 78 seconds off her previous best time to place third among collegiate competition.
- The mark ranks third-best all-time in Conference history.
- Her time is the fastest in the MW and third-best in the country in 2016.
WOMEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
JE’NIA SEARS, FRESNO STATE
Senior, Fresno, California / Edison HS
- Placed first in the Long Jump in the invite section of the Stanford Invitational on Friday, April 1.
- Set a new personal and Bulldogs’ record with a jump of 20’-9.25”.
- The leap ranks first in the Conference and fourth in the nation this season.
2016 MW Men’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Zach Johnson, Jr., Air Force
April 5 – David Elliott, R-Sr., Boise State
2016 MW Men’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
April 5 – Taylor Smith, Jr., Air Force
2016 MW Women’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Makayla Webb, So., San José State
March 29 – Ashley Henderson, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Hannah Everson, Sr., Air Force
2016 MW Women’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Maci Bingham, Sr., Utah State
March 29 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Je’Nia Sears, Sr., Fresno State