Mountain West Announces Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Air Force’s Patrick Corona has been named Mountain West Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Mostafa Hassan of Colorado State earned MW Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of Week honors for meets held April 7-9. It is the third career MW weekly accolade for Corona and second for Hassan. On the women’s side, Wyoming’s Audra DeStefano garnered MW Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Aaliyah Pete of Colorado State was named the Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week. It is the second MW weekly honor for DeStefano and the third for Pete.
MEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
PATRICK CORONA, AIR FORCE
Senior, Fairfield, Connecticut / Fairfield Collegiate Prep
- Won the “Premiere” section of the Mile at the Sun Angel Classic on April 9 in Tempe, Arizona.
- Clocked a time of 4:00.51 which converts to a 1,500 Meter mark of 3:42.69.
- The converted time is a career-best and the third-fastest in Air Force history.
- The converted mark ranks first in the Mountain West and 13th in the nation this season.
MEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
MOSTAFA HASSAN, COLORADO STATE
Sophomore, Cairo, Egypt / American University Cairo
- Finished second overall and first among collegians in the “Premiere” section of the Shot Put at the Sun Angel Classic on April 9 in Tempe, Arizona.
- Broke his own CSU Outdoor record with a throw of 64’-7.25”.
- His toss topped all other collegiate competitors by over three feet.
- The throw ranks first in the MW this season and third in the NCAA.
WOMEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
AUDRA DESTEFANO, WYOMING
Junior, Gillette, Wyoming / Campbell County HS
- Placed first in the Steeplechase at the Weber State Outdoor Open on April 9 in Ogden, Utah.
- Ran an altitude-converted time of 10:11.64 to break her own school record by seven seconds.
- Her mark is the best in the Conference and 14th in the country in 2016.
WOMEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
AALIYAH PETE, COLORADO STATE
Junior, Omaha, Nebraska / Elkhorn South HS
- Placed second overall and first among collegians in the Shot Put at the Mesa Classic on April 8 in Mesa, Arizona.
- Recorded a season-best toss of 52’-9.25” to top all other collegiate competitors by nearly three feet.
- The throw ranks first in the Mountain West and 28th in the nation this season.
- Finished third in the Discus with a toss of 144’-10.75” on April 9 at the CU Invitational in Boulder, Colorado.
2016 MW Men’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Zach Johnson, Jr., Air Force
April 5 – David Elliott, R-Sr., Boise State
April 12 – Patrick Corona, Sr., Air Force
2016 MW Men’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
April 5 – Taylor Smith, Jr., Air Force
April 12 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
2016 MW Women’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Makayla Webb, So., San José State
March 29 – Ashley Henderson, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Hannah Everson, Sr., Air Force
April 12 – Audra DeStefano, Jr., Wyoming
2016 MW Women’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Maci Bingham, Sr., Utah State
March 29 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Je’Nia Sears, Sr., Fresno State
April 12 – Aaliyah Pete, Jr., Colorado State