Mountain West Announces Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – New Mexico’s Josh Kerr was named Mountain West Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Mostafa Hassan of Colorado State earned MW Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week honors for meets held April 12-15. It is the first career MW Outdoor T&F weekly accolade for Kerr and fourth for Hassan. On the women’s side, Fresno State’s Annemarie Schwanz garnered MW Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week accolades, while Aaliyah Pete of Colorado State was tabbed Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week. It is the third career MW Outdoor T&F weekly honor for Schwanz and fourth for Pete.
MEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
JOSH KERR, NEW MEXICO
Sophomore, Edinburgh, Scotland / George Watson’s College
- Won the 1500-Meter Run at the Bryan Clay Invitational on April 14 in Azusa, California.
- Clocked a time of 3:35.99 to set a New Mexico and Mountain West all-time record in the event.
- He becomes the first sophomore in NCAA history to run under 3:36.
- The mark is the sixth-fastest in NCAA history and ranks first in the Conference, the nation and in the world in 2017.
MEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
MOSTAFA HASSAN, COLORADO STATE
Junior, Cairo, Egypt / American University Cairo
- Placed first in the Shot Put at the Mt. SAC Relays in Torrance, California on April 15.
- Registered a throw of 69’-11.00” (21.31m) to break his own Mountain West all-time record by more than three feet.
- The distance also set a new Colorado State program record.
- His mark tops the Conference and ranks first in the country in 2017.
- The throw is the fifth-best in the world this outdoor season.
WOMEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
ANNEMARIE SCHWANZ, FRESNO STATE
Senior, Neuruppin, Germany / Sportschule-Neubrandenburg
- Finished second overall and first among collegiate competitors in the 800-Meter Run at the Bryan Clay Invitational on April 14 in Azusa, California.
- Broke a 25-year-old Fresno State program record and set a new personal best in the event with a time of 2:04.65.
- The mark ranks second in the MW and 11th in the nation this season.
WOMEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
AALIYAH PETE, COLORADO STATE
Senior, Omaha, Nebraska / Elkhorn South HS
- Finished third in the elite section of the Shot Put at the Mt. SAC Relays on April 15 in Torrance, California.
- Broke her own Mountain West all-time mark in the event with a distance of 56’-3.00” (17.14m).
- The throw also topped her own Colorado State all-time program mark.
- Her performance ranks first in the MW by over five feet this season, while also ranking 10th nationally.
2017 MW Men’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 21 – Matt Dorsey, Sr., Air Force
March 28 – Jamiel Trimble, Jr., Air Force
April 4 – AJ Boully, Sr., Utah State
April 11 – Sedacy Walden, So., Air Force
April 18 – Josh Kerr, So., New Mexico
2017 MW Men’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 21 – Sindri Gudmundsson, R-Fr., Utah State
March 28 – Mostafa Hassan, Jr., Colorado State
April 4 – Scott Carter, Sr., Wyoming
April 11 – Sindri Gudmundsson, R-Fr., Utah State
April 18 – Mostafa Hassan, Jr., Colorado State
2017 MW Women’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 21 – Audra DeStefano, Sr., Wyoming
March 28 – Ashley Henderson, Jr., San Diego State
April 4 – Annemarie Schwanz, Sr., Fresno State
April 11 – Sadi Henderson, R-So., Boise State
April 18 – Annemarie Schwanz, Sr., Fresno State
2017 MW Women’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 21 – Shelley Spires, Jr., Air Force
March 28 – Kathryn Tomczak, So., Air Force
April 4 – Nicole Wadden, Sr., Nevada
April 11 – Kelcey Bedard, So., Colorado State
April 18 – Aaliyah Pete, Sr., Colorado State