Mountain West Announces Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Air Force’s Patrick Corona has been named Mountain West Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Allan Hamilton of New Mexico earned MW Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of Week honors for meets held April 13-16. It is the second-consecutive MW weekly accolade for Corona and fourth of his career. Hamilton earns his third-career MW weekly award. On the women’s side, New Mexico’s Calli Thackery garnered MW Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Kaysee Pilgrim of UNLV was named the Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week. It is the second MW weekly honor for Thackery and the first for Pilgrim.
MEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
PATRICK CORONA, AIR FORCE
Senior, Fairfield, Connecticut / Fairfield Collegiate Prep
- Clocked the fastest 5000-Meter time in the nation this season with a mark of 13:37.24 in the Elite section of the Mt. SAC Relays in Norwalk, California on April 15.
- The time set a new Air Force record by 0.42 seconds.
- The mark ranks first in the Mountain West in 2016.
- Finished second out of 54 runners in the race.
MEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
ALLAN HAMILTON, NEW MEXICO
Senior, Edinburgh, Scotland / Queen Margaret University
- Finished second overall and first among collegians in the Long Jump at the Bryan Clay Invitational in Azusa, California on April 15.
- Recorded the second-best jump in Mountain West history with a leap of 25’-10.25” (7.88 meters).
- The mark ranks first in the Conference this season and sixth nationally.
WOMEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
CALLI THACKERY, NEW MEXICO
Senior, Yorkshire, England / Leeds Metropolitan University
- Won the 1500-Meter run at the Bryan Clay Invitational on April 15.
- Clocked a time of 4:14.99 to rank third all-time in Mountain West history.
- The mark, a new personal-best, ranks first in the league and second in the NCAA in 2016.
WOMEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
KAYSEE PILGRIM, UNLV
Junior, Phoenix, Arizona / Pima CC
- Finished first among collegiate competitors and third overall in the High Jump at the Mt. SAC Relays on April 16.
- Cleared 6’-0.75” (1.85 meters) to set a new UNLV program record and rank second all-time in Conference annals.
- The height is the best in the MW and fifth in the country this season.
2016 MW Men’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Zach Johnson, Jr., Air Force
April 5 – David Elliott, R-Sr., Boise State
April 12 – Patrick Corona, Sr., Air Force
April 19 – Patrick Corona, Sr., Air Force
2016 MW Men’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
April 5 – Taylor Smith, Jr., Air Force
April 12 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
April 19 – Allan Hamilton, Sr., New Mexico
2016 MW Women’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Makayla Webb, So., San José State
March 29 – Ashley Henderson, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Hannah Everson, Sr., Air Force
April 12 – Audra DeStefano, Jr., Wyoming
April 19 – Calli Thackery, Jr., New Mexico
2016 MW Women’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Maci Bingham, Sr., Utah State
March 29 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Je’Nia Sears, Sr., Fresno State
April 12 – Aaliyah Pete, Jr., Colorado State
April 19 – Kaysee Pilgrim, Jr., UNLV