Mountain West Announces Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Air Force’s Jamiel Trimble has been named Mountain West Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while teammate Dylan Bell earned MW Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of Week honors for meets held April 28-May 1. It is the second-consecutive MW weekly accolade for Bell and the second-career honor for Trimble. On the women’s side, New Mexico’s Courtney Frerichs garnered MW Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Bonnie Draxler of San Diego State was named the Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week. It is the first-career MW weekly honor for Frerichs and the second for Draxler.
MEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
JAMIEL TRIMBLE, AIR FORCE
Sophomore, Cincinnati, Ohio / Northwest HS (USAFA Prep)
- Competed in three events at the 107th Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, April 29-30.
- Placed sixth in the 110-Meter Hurdles with a time of 13.90.
- The time ranks second in the MW this season, is second all-time in Air Force history and is fourth all-time in the Conference record book.
- Ran the anchor leg in the Falcons’ 4x200-Meter Relay team which placed first with a time of 1:23.29.
- The mark bested the previous Air Force record in the event by more than a half second.
- Finished seventh in the 100-Meter Dash with a wind-aided time of 10.57.
MEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
DYLAN BELL, AIR FORCE
Senior, Alvarado, Texas / Alvarado HS
- Claimed the Pole Vault title at the 107th Drake Relays on April 30.
- Won the title by four inches with a clearance of 17’-8.50”.
- The height ranks second in the Conference, trailing his previous best height of the season, 18’-2.50”.
- Nationally, the mark is 13th.
WOMEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
COURTNEY FRERICHS, NEW MEXICO
Senior, Nixa, Missouri / UMKC
- Won the top section of the 3000-Meter Steeplechase with a time of 9:29.31 at the Payton Jordan Invitational on May 1 in Stanford, California.
- This season, the mark ranks first in the MW, first in the NCAA and first in the world by over five seconds.
- Historically, the time sets a New Mexico and Mountain West all-time record and is the fifth-fastest in NCAA annals.
WOMEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
BONNIE DRAXLER, SAN DIEGO STATE
Sophomore, Wrightstown, Wisconsin / Wrightstown HS
- Finished first out of 18 competitors in the Pole Vault at the Payton Jordan Invitational on May 1.
- Cleared a personal-best height of 14’-0.75”.
- The clearance ranks first in the Mountain West and 18th nationally in 2016.
- The mark is the third-best all-time in Conference and San Diego State history.
2016 MW Men’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Zach Johnson, Jr., Air Force
April 5 – David Elliott, R-Sr., Boise State
April 12 – Patrick Corona, Sr., Air Force
April 19 – Patrick Corona, Sr., Air Force
April 26 – AJ Boully, Jr., Utah State
May 3 – Jamiel Trimble, So., Air Force
2016 MW Men’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
April 5 – Taylor Smith, Jr., Air Force
April 12 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
April 19 – Allan Hamilton, Sr., New Mexico
April 26 – Dylan Bell, Sr., Air Force
May 3 – Dylan Bell, Sr., Air Force
2016 MW Women’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Makayla Webb, So., San José State
March 29 – Ashley Henderson, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Hannah Everson, Sr., Air Force
April 12 – Audra DeStefano, Jr., Wyoming
April 19 – Calli Thackery, Jr., New Mexico
April 26 – Annemarie Schwanz, Jr., Fresno State
May 3 – Courtney Frerichs, Sr., New Mexico
2016 MW Women’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Maci Bingham, Sr., Utah State
March 29 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Je’Nia Sears, Sr., Fresno State
April 12 – Aaliyah Pete, Jr., Colorado State
April 19 – Kaysee Pilgrim, Jr., UNLV
April 26 – Je’Nia Sears, Sr., Fresno State
May 3 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State