Mountain West Announces Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Utah State’s Parker Bluth has been named Mountain West Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Taylor Hulslander of Air Force earned MW Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of Week honors for meets held through May 7. It is the first career MW weekly accolade for both Bluth and Hulslander. On the women’s side, Wyoming’s McKenzie Brogan garnered MW Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, while Shelley Spires of Air Force was named the Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week. Both Brogan and Spires earn their first career MW weekly honor.
MEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
PARKER BLUTH, UTAH STATE
Senior, Riverton, Utah / Riverton HS
- Placed first in the 200-Meter Dash and was a part of Utah State’s winning 4x100 Relay team at the Weber State Twilight Meet in Ogden, Utah on May 4.
- Tied his own school record in the 200-Meter Dash with an altitude-converted time of 20.59.
- The mark ranks first in the Mountain West and is tied for 19th nationally this season.
- Ran a leg of the Aggies’ 4x100 Relay team which finished first with an altitude-converted time of 39.62.
- That time is the best in the league in 2016, while ranking 26th in the country.
MEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
TAYLOR HULSLANDER, AIR FORCE
Junior, Kalispell, Montana / Glacier HS
- Finished first in the Javelin at the Air Force Twilight Open on May 6.
- Recorded a career-best throw of 217’-4.00”.
- The mark ranks fifth all-time in Air Force history.
- He is the first Falcon to impact the program’s top-10 list in the event since 2013.
- The throw is the best in the Mountain West this season.
WOMEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
MCKENZIE BROGAN, WYOMING
Senior, Golden, Colorado / Lakewood HS
- Won the 400 Hurdles at the Colorado State Dual Meet on May 6 in Fort Collins.
- Ran a personal-best 59.30 to move up to fourth in Cowgirl history in the event.
- Her time currently ranks second in the MW this season and 68th in the NCAA.
WOMEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
SHELLEY SPIRES, AIR FORCE
Sophomore, Mobile, Alabama / St. Paul’s Episcopal
- Placed first in the High Jump at the Air Force Twilight Open on May 6.
- Set a new Air Force program record with a clearance of 5’-10.50”.
- The height is a new career-best and set a new meet record by more than three inches.
- The mark ranks second in the Conference and 24th in the country this season.
2016 MW Men’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Zach Johnson, Jr., Air Force
April 5 – David Elliott, R-Sr., Boise State
April 12 – Patrick Corona, Sr., Air Force
April 19 – Patrick Corona, Sr., Air Force
April 26 – AJ Boully, Jr., Utah State
May 3 – Jamiel Trimble, So., Air Force
May 10 - Parker Bluth, Sr., Utah State
2016 MW Men’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 29 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
April 5 – Taylor Smith, Jr., Air Force
April 12 – Mostafa Hassan, So., Colorado State
April 19 – Allan Hamilton, Sr., New Mexico
April 26 – Dylan Bell, Sr., Air Force
May 3 – Dylan Bell, Sr., Air Force
May 10 - Taylor Hulslander, Jr., Air Force
2016 MW Women’s Track Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Makayla Webb, So., San José State
March 29 – Ashley Henderson, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Hannah Everson, Sr., Air Force
April 12 – Audra DeStefano, Jr., Wyoming
April 19 – Calli Thackery, Jr., New Mexico
April 26 – Annemarie Schwanz, Jr., Fresno State
May 3 – Courtney Frerichs, Sr., New Mexico
May 10 - McKenzie Brogan, Sr., Wyoming
2016 MW Women’s Field Athletes of the Week
March 22 – Maci Bingham, Sr., Utah State
March 29 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State
April 5 – Je’Nia Sears, Sr., Fresno State
April 12 – Aaliyah Pete, Jr., Colorado State
April 19 – Kaysee Pilgrim, Jr., UNLV
April 26 – Je’Nia Sears, Sr., Fresno State
May 3 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State
May 10 - Shelley Spires, So., Air Force