Mountain West Announces Softball Player & Pitcher of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Boise State’s Rebekah Cervantes was named Mountain West Softball Player of the Week, while Katelyn Linford of San José State was tabbed MW Pitcher of Week for games played through March 12. It is the first career MW weekly accolade for Cervantes and third for Linford.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
REBEKAH CERVANTES, BOISE STATE
Sophomore, INF, Visalia, California / Redwood HS
- Led Boise State to a 5-0 performance at the CSUN/LMU Tournament in Los Angeles and Northridge, California, March 10-12.
- Batted .500 (8-for-16) with a .571 on-base percentage and a 1.000 slugging percentage.
- Drove in 10 runs, crossed the plate nine times and recorded four extra-base hits (two triples, one double, one home run).
- Added three walks and two stolen bases.
- Recorded a RBI in all five games, including three contests with at least two runs knocked in.
- Registered at least one hit in four of the five contests, including a pair of three-hit games.
- In wins over Quinnipiac and Hartford on Sunday, went a combined 6-for-9 with seven runs scored, six RBIs, a double and a home run.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
KATELYN LINFORD, SAN JOSÉ STATE
Senior, RHP, San Ramos, California / California HS
- Played a part in each of San José State’s six wins last week, earning five victories and one save to help the Spartans defeat Pacific, 7-0, on March 9 and go undefeated (5-0) at the UC Davis Tournament in Davis, California, March 9-11.
- Collected four wins in four starts and picked up another victory coming out of the bullpen.
- In six appearances, worked 32.2 innings, giving up 21 hits and four earned runs for a 0.86 ERA.
- Struck out 23 batters, while walking just three.
- Threw a complete game in each of the four starts, including a four-hit shutout against Pacific.
- Worked 2.2 innings in relief with no runs allowed and five strikeouts to earn a win over Seton Hall on March 9.
- Surrendered just one earned run on five hits with four strikeouts in 8.0 innings pitched in SJSU’s 3-2 over UC Davis on March 9.
- Earned a save after tossing a perfect seventh inning in the Spartans’ 3-0 win against UMass on March 10.
- Collected another win over UC Davis on March 10, throwing 7.0 innings and allowing just two earned runs on five hits.
- Closed the weekend with a complete-game effort versus Iowa State, surrendering six hits and one earned run, while fanning five Cyclones.
2017 MW Softball Player of the Week
Feb. 14 – Savannah McHellon, Jr., UTL, Fresno State
Feb. 20 – Corey Hendrickson, Sr., INF, Boise State
Feb. 27 – Molly Sturdivant, So., 3B, San Diego State
March 7 – Victoria Saucedo, Sr., 2B/3B, Utah State
March 14 – Rebekah Cervantes, So., INF, Boise State
2017 MW Softball Pitcher of the Week
Feb. 14 – Tess McPherson, R-Sr., RHP, New Mexico
Feb. 20 – Morgan Ettinger, Sr., RHP, UNLV
Feb. 27 – Christina Washington, Sr., LHP, Boise State
March 7 – McKenna Isenberg, Sr., RHP, Nevada
March 14 – Katelyn Linford, Sr., RHP, San José State