Mountain West Announces Women's Soccer Players of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – UNLV’s Michaela Morris and Chidera Akubuilo have earned the first Mountain West Women’s Soccer weekly awards of the 2016 season. Morris, a redshirt-freshman forward, was tabbed the Offensive Player of the Week, while Akubuilo, a junior defender, earned the Defensive Player of the Week nod for matches played Aug. 19-21. It is the first-career MW weekly accolade for both Morris and Akubuilo.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MICHAELA MORRIS, UNLV
R-Freshman, Forward, Henderson, Nevada/Coronado HS
- Helped UNLV to a pair of wins last weekend at the UTRGV Invitational in Edinburg, Texas, defeating Fairleigh Dickinson, 3-1, and Texas A&M Corpus-Christi, 6-0, on Aug. 19 and 21, respectively.
- In the two matches, tallied four goals, eight points and five shots on goal.
- Scored two goals in her first-career game on Friday versus Fairleigh Dickinson.
- Added two more goals against Texas A&M Corpus-Christi on Sunday to earn her All-Tournament team honors.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
CHIDERA AKUBUILO, UNLV
Junior, Defender, Torrance, California/West Torrance HS
- Anchored the Rebels’ backline which surrendered just one goal on 15 shots in two games at the UTRGV Invitational.
- In Sunday’s 6-0 win over Texas A&M Corpus-Christi, she and the rest of the defense held the Islanders to just two shots the entire match.
- Was named to the All-Tournament team.