Mountain West Announces Women's Swimmer and Diver of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - San Diego State senior Taylor Johnson has been named Mountain West Swimmer of the Week, while sophomore teammate Alexandra Caplan has earned MW Women’s Diver of the Week honors for competition ending January 3, 2016. It is the second weekly award for both student-athletes this season and the fourth of Caplan’s career.
The next Mountain West Women’s Swimmer & Diver of the Week will be announced on Tuesday, January 12.
WOMEN'S SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
TAYLOR JOHNSON, SAN DIEGO STATE
Senior, Fountain Valley, California / Fountain Valley High School
• Key player in San Diego State’s five wins over two days of competition at the UC San Diego Canyonview Aquatic Center on January 2 and 3. Two of the five victories were against MW foes UNLV (167-126) and San José State (167-129).
• Involved in a pair of pool records set over the two days.
• Tied the 50-yard freestyle pool record on Saturday with a winning time of 23.02, then set the new mark on Sunday with a 1st-place finish of 22.90. Sunday’s time was an NCAA ‘B’ cut.
• On Sunday, was the leadoff swimmer for the winning 200-yard freestyle relay team that established a new pool record with a time of 1:33.85.
• Also picked up second-place finishes in the 100-yard freestyle on both days and swam on Saturday’s 200-yard medley relay and Sunday’s 400-yard medley relay squads.
WOMEN'S DIVER OF THE WEEK
ALEXANDRA CAPLAN, SAN DIEGO STATE
Sophomore, Mission Viejo, California / Mission Viejo High School
• Assisted with key points in San Diego State’s five dual-meet victories over January 2 and 3 at the UC San Diego Canyonview Aquatic Center. Two of the wins were against MW foes UNLV (167-126) and San José State (167-129).
• Won the 1-meter springboard event on both days with a score of 303.05 on Saturday and 284.85 on Sunday. Both marks were NCAA Zone qualifying scores.
• Placed second in the 3-meter springboard competition on both days. Her Sunday score of 300.65 was an NCAA Zone qualifying mark, while Saturday’s score just missed the qualifying score at 277.10.
2015-16 Mountain West Women's Swimmers of the Week
Oct. 19 – Genevieve Miller, Jr., Air Force
Oct. 26 - Teresa Baerens, Jr., Nevada
Nov. 3 - Brittany Aoyama, Jr., Boise State
Nov. 10 - Taylor Johnson, Sr., San Diego State
Nov. 24 - Sam Wicks, Sr., Boise State
Dec. 22 - Ugne Mazutaityte, Fr., Fresno State
Jan. 5 - Taylor Johnson, Sr., San Diego State
2015-16 Mountain West Women's Divers of the Week
Oct. 19 – Ariana Milone, Sr., Colorado state
Oct. 26 - Keely Bishop, Jr., Wyoming
Nov. 3 - Krysta Palmer, Sr., Nevada
Nov. 10 - Krysta Palmer, Sr., Nevada
Nov. 24 - Alexandra Caplan, So., San Diego State
Dec. 22 - Krysta Palmer, Sr., Nevada
Jan. 5 - Alexandra Caplan, So., San Diego State