Mountain West Football Players of the Week - Week 3
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – San Diego State senior running back Donnel Pumphrey has been named the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while Utah State senior linebacker Brock Carmen has been tabbed the Defensive Player of the Week and Aztec senior punter Tanner Blain earns Special Teams Player of the Week honors. It is the sixth career Mountain West weekly accolade for Pumphrey and first for both Carmen and Blain.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
DONNEL PUMPHREY, SAN DIEGO STATE
Senior, Running Back, Las Vegas, Nevada / Canyon Springs HS
- Rushed 23 times for 220 yards and three touchdowns in San Diego State’s 42-28 win at Northern Illinois, marking just the third loss at home for the Huskies over their last 38 home games.
- The 220 rushing yards are tied for the fifth-most in a Football Bowl Subdivision game this season (his 281 yards last week against Cal is No. 1).
- His touchdown runs were 33, 46 and 79 yards. The 79-yard run is his longest of the season.
- 112 of his 220 yards came in the fourth quarter, when he rushed twice for the 112 yards and two touchdowns.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
BROCK CARMEN, UTAH STATE
Senior, Linebacker, Clovis, California / Riverside CC
- In his first career start, recorded a career-high 12 tackles (six solo), including 1.5 tackles for loss, one sack and two quarterback hurries in Utah State's 34-20 victory against Arkansas State.
- The 12 tackles marked the first time he has recorded double-digit tackles in a game.
- Had four tackles in the first quarter and two in the second as Utah State held an opponent scoreless in the first half for the first time since Sept. 20, 2014 - a span of 27 games.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
TANNER BLAIN, SAN DIEGO STATE
Senior, Punter, Lindenhurst, Illinois / El Camino College
- Punted five times for 212 yards, averaging 42.4 yards per boot with a career-high-tying four inside the 20 in San Diego State's 42-28 win at Northern Illinois.
- Landed four punts inside the seven-yard line, including three inside the five (2, 3 and 4) with the other landing on the six.
- On his four punts inside the seven, NIU was held scoreless.
- Recorded a season-long of 52 yards.
- Also was the holder in all six of SDSU's PAT makes.