Mountain West Football Players of the Week - Week 5
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Boise State junior running back Jeremy McNichols has been tabbed the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while Wyoming free safety Andrew Wingard garnered the Defensive Player of the Week award and Air Force senior punter Steve Brosy earns Special Teams Player of the Week accolades. It is the third career Mountain West weekly accolade for McNichols and first for both Wingard and Brosy.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
JEREMY McNICHOLS, BOISE STATE
Junior, Running Back, Long Beach, California / Santa Margarita HS
- Posted a game-high 226 all-purpose yards in Boise State’s 21-10 home win over Utah State.
- Rushed for 132 yards on 30 carries, caught six passes for 73 yards and a touchdown and returned a kickoff 21 yards.
- The 61-yard scoring reception in the first quarter was the longest catch of his career.
- Collected 100 of his 132 rushing yards in the second half, including carrying the ball 10 times for 44 yards on Boise State's final drive of the game that burned 6:04 off the clock and left just 1:37 remaining in the contest when Utah State got the ball back.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ANDREW WINGARD, WYOMING
Sophomore, Free Safety, Arvada, Colorado / Ralston Valley HS
- Recorded a career-high 17 tackles (10 solo), 1.0 sack of 18 yards and 1.0 tackle for a loss in Wyoming’s 38-17 victory at Colorado State.
- Was the leader of a Cowboy defense that shutout the Rams and limited them to only 134 yards of total offense in the second half.
- Recorded six tackles on a single series in the second quarter, two of which were solo tackles.
- With a little over four minutes remaining in the game and CSU facing a fourth and five at Wyoming's 24-yard line, recorded a solo sack for a loss of 18 yards that ended the final scoring threat of the game by the Rams, preserving UW's second-half shutout.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
STEVE BROSY, AIR FORCE
Senior, Punter, Fort Myers, Florida / Fort Myers HS
- Punted five times for a career-best 45.4-yard average in Air Force’s 28-14 victory over Navy.
- Had a career-long 58-yard punt and a career-best five punts downed inside the 20.
- Also had the second- and third-longest punts of his career, both 48 yards.
- Pinned Navy inside its own 20-yard line five times, including starts at the 11, 13, 4, 10 and 14 yard lines.