Mountain West Football Players of the Week - Week 6
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Boise State sophomore quarterback Brett Rypien has garnered Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week honors, while Colorado State senior linebacker Kevin Davis has been named the Defensive Player of the Week and Hawai‘i senior placekicker/punter Rigoberto Sanchez collects the Special Teams Player of the Week award. It is the first career Mountain West weekly honor for all three student-athletes.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
BRETT RYPIEN, BOISE STATE
Sophomore, Quarterback, Spokane, Washington / Shadle Park HS
- Led Boise State to a 49-21 road victory over New Mexico on Friday night.
- Completed 21-of-28 pass attempts for a season high 391 yards and a career high five touchdowns.
- Recorded 368 yards and all five of his passing touchdowns in the opening half.
- Helped Boise State take control of the contest by leading the Broncos on seven-consecutive scoring drives after a game-opening three-and-out series.
- Only played one possession in the second half, leading the Broncos on an eight-play, 58-yard scoring drive that put Boise State up 49-7.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KEVIN DAVIS, COLORADO STATE
Senior, Linebacker, Fountain, Colorado / Fountain-Fort Carson HS
- Registered seven tackles, an interception, a fumble recovery and a quarterback hurry in Colorado State’s 31-24 home win against Utah State on Saturday.
- After the Rams scored to make the score 24-17 early in the second half, recovered a fumble on Utah State’s ensuing drive to give the ball back to the CSU offense near midfield.
- With the Rams leading by seven with under a minute to play, intercepted Utah State quarterback Kent Myers' pass on a 3rd-and-five to seal the CSU victory.
- Was a key part of the CSU defense's second-half shutout, helping the Rams overcome a 14-point halftime deficit.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
RIGOBERTO SANCHEZ, HAWAI‘I
Senior, Placekicker/Punter, Hamilton City, California / Butte College
- Was a perfect 2-for-2 on field goal attempts, 4-for-4 on extra-point tries and punted six times with a 44.5 average in Hawai‘i’s 34-17 win at San José State on Saturday.
- Converted field goal attempts of 24 and 35 yards.
- Made all four of his extra-point attempts to give him 10 total points for the game.
- Averaged 44.5 yards on six punts, including two that were downed inside the 20-yard line.
- Finished with two punts of over 50 yards.