Mountain West Football Players of the Week - Week 7
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Boise State junior running back Jeremy McNichols has garnered Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week honors, while UNLV senior linebacker Tau Lotulelei has been named the Defensive Player of the Week and New Mexico freshman kick returner Elijah Lilly collects the Special Teams Player of the Week award. It is the fourth career Mountain West weekly honor for McNichols and first for Lotulelei and Lilly.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
JEREMY MCNICHOLS, BOISE STATE
Junior, Running Back, Long Beach, California / Santa Margarita HS
- Set career highs in carries (40), rushing yards (217) and all-purpose yards (264) while scoring a pair of rushing touchdowns in Boise State’s 28-23 win over Colorado State.
- His 40 carries set a Boise State single-game record, breaking Cedric Minter's 38-year old mark.
- The 80-yard touchdown run in the third quarter was the third scoring run of his career of at least 80 yards. He now owns three of the five longest runs from scrimmage in Boise State history.
- Rushed for 159 yards and scored both of his touchdowns in the second half.
- Caught four passes for 47 yards, including a 33-yard catch down the sidelines late in the first half that set up Boise State's first touchdown as the Broncos took a 7-3 halftime lead.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
TAU LOTULELEI, UNLV
Senior, Linebacker, Kihei, Hawaii / Maui HS
- Collected seven total tackles (five solo), including 1.5 tackles for loss and a forced fumble in UNLV’s 41-38 win at Hawai‘i.
- With the game tied at 38 and Hawai‘i driving for a potential game-winning score, forced a fumble on Rainbow Warrior quarterback Dru Brown after he ran for a first down to the UNLV 47-yard line. The Rebels kicked the game-winning field goal on the ensuing drive.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ELIJAH LILLY, NEW MEXICO
Freshman, Kick Returner, San Bernardino, Calif. / Cajon HS
- Appearing for the first time as New Mexico’s kickoff returner, collected 160 total return yards on four kickoffs in the Lobos’ 45-40 victory over Air Force at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.
- Averaged 40 yards per return after recording run backs of 30, 38, 51, and 41 yards. His kickoff returns led to three touchdowns and a field goal.