Mountain West Football Weekly Release
|MOUNTAIN WEST FOOTBALL WEEK 10 SCHEDULE|
|Thursday, November 5
|Nevada at Fresno State*
||ESPN2||7:30 p.m. PT
||SIRIUS 84/XM 84
|Friday, November 6
|BYU at San José State
||CBS Sports Network||8:30 p.m. PT
||SIRIUS 84/XM 84
|Saturday, November 7
|Colorado State at Wyoming*
||ESPN3||1 p.m. MT
|Army at Air Force
||ESPNU||1:30 p.m. MT
||SIRIUS 134/XM 201
|Utah State at New Mexico*
||CBS Sports Network||1:30 p.m. MT
|Hawai‘i at UNLV*
||TWC Oceanic/MWN||3 p.m. PT
NO FLY ZONE
The Boise State starting secondary has recorded more career interceptions than any other starting secondary in the nation. Made up of Darian Thompson, Donte Deayon, Jonathan Moxey and Dylan Sumner-Gardner, the Broncos have 40 career picks. Thompson has 19 career interceptions, the most among FBS defenders and most by a MW defender all-time, while Deayon has 17 career interceptions, which is tied for the third-most in Mountain West history and tied for second-most among active NCAA defenders. Moxey has the other four interceptions for Boise State.
MAJOR AWARD SEMIFINALISTS
Boise State’s Darian Thompson was named a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, an honor given to the nation’s top defensive back. Thompson, who leads the Broncos with 53 tackles and five interceptions, is one of 16 semifinalists for the honor. The three Thorpe Award finalists will be named on Nov. 23 and the winner will be announced at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on ESPN on Dec. 10.
Utah State LB Kyler Fackrell is a semifinalist for the Butkus Award, an honor given annually to the nation’s best linebacker. This season, Fackrell has compiled 53 tackles, including 11 tackles for loss and three sacks, and four fumble recoveries. Fackrell is one of 10 semifinalists for the award. Butkus Award finalists will be announced on Nov. 23 and winners will be notified on or before Dec. 8.
(Notes from around the Mountain west in 140 characters or less)
- The @MountainWest is home to 3 of the nation’s top 10 longest home win streaks in @BroncoSportsFB (18), @USUFootball (13) and @AFAFootball (10).
- .@BroncoSportsFB is the only team in the @MountainWest with at least 5 players with 20 or more receptions this season.
- .@wyo_football RB Brian Hill ranks 2nd nationally with 1,262 rushing yds and is the Cowboy’s 1st 1,000-yd rusher since 2008.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB’s Tyler Ervin has rushed for 1,159 yards, which ranks 3rd nationally. He is just the Spartans 11th 1,000-yard rusher.
- The @MountainWest is the only conference with three 1,000-yd RBs. Wyo’s Hill (1,262) SJSU’s Ervin (1,159) & SDSU’s Pumphrey (1,031).
- .@BroncoSportsFB is tied for first nationally with 16 INTs in 2015.
- .@BroncoSportsFB’s Darian Thompson, a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, has 19 career INTs, a @MountainWest record.
- .@BroncoSportsFB Thompson (19) & Deayon (17) are 1st & T-2nd nationally in active career INTs. The starting BSU secondary leads the nation with 40 career INTs.
- .@BroncoSportsFB has won 18-consecutive home games, the 3rd-longest streak behind Florida State (19) and Baylor (20).
- .@CSUFootball’s Rashard Higgins has caught at least one pass in 33 consecutive games, a streak which is T-9th in FBS & the most in the MW.
- .@BroncoSportsFB QB Brett Rypien threw for a @MountainWest freshman record 469 yards at UNLV on Oct. 31.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB has been ranked in the top-5 nationally for pass defense each week since 9/20/14.
- In its last 20 games, @SJSUSpartanFB has only allowed 112.3 passing yards per game.
- .@SJSUSpartanFB’s Ervin is the 10th MW player to rush for at least 200 yards twice in a season. He rushed for 300 yds vs. FS & 263 vs. UNM.
- The 300 rushing yards are the most in the FBS this season.
- Ervin has 14 total TDs, 5 shy of the @SJSUSpartanFB record held by Johnny Johnson, Jr., who scored 19 times in 1988.
- Through 8 games, @AFFootball has run 600 offensive plays, 515 of which have been runs (.858).
- Senior @CSUFootball linebacker Cory James has 23 career sacks, only 5.5 away from tying the MW record, which was set in 2009.
- James’ 23 career sacks are tied for fourth-most by an active FBS defender.
- In his time as an OC and HC at @BroncoSportsFB, Bryan Harsin is 8-2 against autonomous 5 competition.
- .@BroncoSportsFB is coming off their 13th consecutive bowl apperance, an active streak that ties for seventh nationally.
- Boise State boasts the highest win percentage since 2000, having won 173 of 203 contests for a mark of .852.
- .@USUFootball’s Kent Myers rushed for 191 yds vs. @CSUFootball, the most rushing yards by an FBS QB this season and a program record.