Mountain West Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Air Force’s Patrick Corona has been named Mountain West Men’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week, while New Mexico’s Allan Hamilton earned MW Men’s Indoor Field Athlete of Week honors for meets held January 21-23. It is the third-career MW weekly accolade for Corona and first for Hamilton. On the women’s side, Colorado State’s Leah Fair garnered MW Women’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week for the third time this season, while Air Force’s Kathryn Tomczak was named the Women’s Indoor Field Athlete of the Week. Overall, it is the fourth-career MW weekly honor for Fair and the first award for Tomczak.
MEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
PATRICK CORONA, AIR FORCE
Senior, Fairfield, Connecticut/Fairfield College Preparatory
• Clocked the nation’s fastest time in the Mile with an altitude-adjusted mark of 3:59.77 to win that event at the Air Force Invitational on January 23.
• Is just the second NCAA miler to break the four-minute mark this season.
• Became the first Air Force runner to record a sub-four minute mile.
• The pre-adjusted time of 4:09.19 shattered the Air Force Invitational meet record by more than three seconds.
MEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
ALLAN HAMILTON, NEW MEXICO
Senior, Edinburgh, Scotland/Queen Margaret University
• Placed second overall and first among collegiate competitors in the Long Jump at the Cherry & Silver Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico on January 22.
• His leap of 24’-9.25” is the top mark in the Mountain West this season and ranks 19th nationally.
• Beat the NCAA’s second-ranked long jumper, Steven Barze of Southeastern Louisiana, in head-to-head competition at the meet.
WOMEN’S TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
LEAH FAIR, COLORADO STATE
Junior, Gaffney, South Carolina/Coastal Carolina
• Placed first in the 60-Meter and 200-Meter dashes at the Mark Colligan Memorial meet on January 23 in Lincoln, Nebraska.
• Won the 200-Meter dash with a time of 24.13 seconds and the 60-Meters with a mark of 7.52.
• Her 200-Meter time ranks first in the MW and 40th nationally.
• Her time in the 60-Meter is the third-fastest mark in the league this season.
• Was part of CSU’s 4x400-Meter relay team which placed third with a time of 3:46.61.
WOMEN’S FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
KATHRYN TOMCZAK, AIR FORCE
Freshman, Williamsburg, Virginia/Lafayette HS
• Finished first among collegiate competitors and fifth overall in the Pole Vault with a clearance of 13’-3.50” at the Air Force Invitational on January 21.
• Became just the fourth vaulter in Falcons’ history to break the 13-foot bar.
• Her clearance is ranked third on the Academy’s all-time list and set a new freshman class record.
• The mark ranks first in the MW and 34th nationally.
2015-16 MW Men’s Track Athletes of the Week
Dec. 15 – David Elliott, Sr., Boise State
Jan. 19 – Jamiel Trimble, So., Air Force
Jan. 26 – Patrick Corona, Sr., Air Force
2015-16 MW Men’s Field Athletes of the Week
Dec. 15 – Dylan Bell, Sr., Air Force
Jan. 19 – John Reynolds, So., Air Force
Jan. 26 – Allan Hamilton, Sr., New Mexico
2015-16 MW Women’s Track Athletes of the Week
Dec. 15 – Leah Fair, Jr., Colorado State
Jan. 12 – Leah Fair, Jr., Colorado State
Jan. 19 – Micha Auzenne, Jr., San Diego State
Jan. 26 – Leah Fair, Jr., Colorado State
2015-16 MW Women’s Field Athletes of the Week
Dec. 15 – Emelda Malm-Annan, Fr., Wyoming
Jan. 12 – Shelley Spires, So., Air Force
Jan. 19 – Bonnie Draxler, So., San Diego State
Jan. 26 – Kathryn Tomczak, Fr., Air Force