Mountain West Men's Basketball Weekly Release
|UPCOMING MOUNTAIN WEST MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE|
|Tuesday, February 23
|New Mexico at Colorado State*||CBS Sports Network||8 p.m. MT|
|UNLV at Boise State*||ESPNU||9 p.m. MT|
|Wednesday, February 24
|Air Force at Fresno State*||MWN - Institutional||7 p.m. PT|
|Utah State at Nevada*||ROOT SPORTS||7 p.m. PT|
|San Diego State at Wyoming*||CBS Sports Network||8 p.m. MT|
|Saturday, February 27
|Boise State at San Diego State*||CBS Sports Network||3 p.m. PT|
|Wyoming at UNLV*||ESPN3||5 p.m. PT|
|San José State at Utah State*||MWN - Institutional||7 p.m. MT|
|Fresno State at New Mexico*||ESPN2||8 p.m. MT|
|Sunday, February 28
|Colorado State at Nevada*||ROOT SPORTS||2 p.m. PT|
Mountain West 3-Pointers
AIR FORCE (14-14, 5-10 MW)
- The Falcons, winners of four of their last six games, travel to Fresno State on Wednesday, Feb. 24. AFA has won five of the 20 meetings all-time against the Bulldogs, but FS has won six in a row.
- Air Force has a 10-2 record this season when holding its opponent under 70 points. Fresno State averages 74.3 points per game.
- Falcons forward Hayden Graham is averaging 14.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game. At this clip, Graham will be the first Air Force player to finish the season with an average of at least 10 points and five boards since Jacob Burtschi, who poured in 13.5 points and grabbed six boards per contest in 2006-07.
BOISE STATE (17-10, 8-6 MW)
- Boise State, which has dropped five of its last seven contests, hosts UNLV on Tuesday, Feb. 23. The Rebels lead the series 7-5 and defeated the Broncos earlier this year in Las Vegas (87-77; Jan. 27). Overall, Boise State has won three of the last four contests between the two schools.
- Under head coach Leon Rice, the Broncos are 49-6 when scoring at least 80 points. This season Boise State has a 10-2 record when scoring 80-plus points.
- Junior forward James Webb III leads the Mountain West and ranks 30th nationally with 251 total rebounds. Webb III has a chance to eclipse 300 rebounds this season, which would make him the fourth Bronco all-time to accomplish this feat.
COLORADO STATE (14-13, 6-8 MW)
- Colorado State hosts New Mexico on Tuesday, Feb. 23 for the lone regular-season meeting between the two teams. The Rams hold a 32-23 record against the Lobos at Moby Arena.
- Junior guard John Gillon ranks seventh nationally and first in the Mountain West with a free-throw percentage of 89.5. On the year, Gillon has connected on 111-of-124 from the charity stripe. The Rams haven’t had a player shoot better than 90 percent from the free throw line since 2001 (John Sivesind - .908).
- CSU ranks first in the Mountain West, averaging 79.6 points per game. The Rams have racked up 2,150 total points and are on pace to set the program single-season record, which is 2,553 (2012-13).
FRESNO STATE (18-9, 9-5 MW)
- Fresno State, winners of four of its last five games, hosts Air Force on Wednesday, Feb. 24. The Bulldogs have the highest home win percentage in the Mountain West at .875 (14-2). FS holds a 15-5 series advantage over the Falcons.
- The Bulldogs are 12-1 when holding its opponent to fewer than 70 points this season. A 65-53 loss at San José State on Feb. 3 snapped the Bulldogs’ 15-game win streak when allowing less than 70 points, a streak that dated back to Jan. 27, 2015 at San Diego State (58-47).
- Fresno State leads the Mountain West and ranks 10th nationally with a turnover margin of +3.8. This is the best turnover margin by a Bulldogs squad since at least 1999-2000.
NEVADA (16-10, 8-6 MW)
- In his first season as head coach of Nevada, Eric Musselman has led the Wolf Pack to its first 16-win season since the 2011-12 season (28-7).
- Nevada ranks fourth in the nation in blocked shots per game (6.0) and ninth in total blocks (157). The program record is 192 set in 2007-08.
- Nevada freshman forward Cameron Oliver set a Mountain West record with 24 rebounds vs. Fresno State on Feb. 13. Oliver also poured in 20 points, producing the MW’s first 20-20 game since Feb. 18, 2012 (New Mexico’s Drew Gordon). The 24 boards are the most in Division I this season, and the most by a freshman since Feb. 5, 2014 (Gardner-Webb’s Tyrell Nelson; 25). Dating back to 2009-10, only 10 players nationally have recorded at least 24 rebounds in a single game.
NEW MEXICO (16-11, 9-5 MW)
- New Mexico will complete its two-game road trip through Colorado on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at Colorado State. The Lobos are 23-32 at Moby Arena, but have won two of the last three contests on the road.
- Junior forward Tim Williams ranks first in the Mountain West and 20th nationally with a field-goal percentage of 60.4 percent. Williams is 189-for-313 from the field this season. In Lobo history, only seven players have finished the season shooting higher than 60 percent. As a team, New Mexico leads the Mountain West, shooting 46.9 percent from the field.
- In Mountain West action, the Lobos are averaging 78.2 points per game. This is the highest scoring average UNM has recorded in Conference play. The previous best was 77.6 during the 1999-2000 season.
SAN DIEGO STATE (20-7, 13-1 MW)
- The Aztecs secured at least a share of the Mountain West regular season title after defeating San José State last Sunday (78-56). SDSU has won at least a share of the Conference title in three straight years and in five of the last six seasons.
- San Diego State travels to Wyoming, an institution that the Aztecs defeated earlier this year by 12 points, on Wednesday, Feb. 24. The Aztecs have won 11 of the last 13 meetings overall against Wyoming.
- SDSU limits its opponents to just 36.7 percent shooting from the field, a figure that ranks first nationally. The Aztecs also rank in the top 10 in scoring defense, holding their opponents to 60.1 points per contest, which ranks fourth.
SAN JOSÉ STATE (8-19, 3-12 MW)
- San José State has a bye before Saturday’s contest at Utah State on Feb. 27. The Spartans have dropped four consecutive games and is one-win shy of tying their win total from 2012-13.
- Freshman forward Cody Schwartz has connected on 48 3-pointers this season, which leads all Mountain West freshmen. Schwartz’s teammate Ryan Welage has made 45, the second-most among that group.
- The Spartans are third in the Mountain West with an average of 14.7 assists per game and have tallied 397 helpers. The 14.7 assists are the most by a Spartans squad since the 1984-85 season (16.2).
UNLV (16-12, 7-8 MW)
- UNLV is 7-5 under interim coach Todd Simon, who took over prior to the Jan. 12 contest vs. New Mexico, and has won three of last four games. The Rebels travel to Boise State on Tuesday, Feb. 23. UNLV is looking to sweep the regular season series against the Broncos after defeating them on Jan. 27 (87-77).
- The Rebels are averaging 15.75 forced turnovers per game, a figure that ranks 19th nationally. In 28 games, they’ve registered 233 total steals, which ranks 14th in Division I. UNLV sophomore guard Patrick McCaw ranks fourth nationally, averaging 2.64 steals per contest, and third with 74 total steals. McCaw is one steal away from entering the MW top 5 for steals in a season.
- The Rebels are averaging 78.1 points per contest this season, which is third in the Mountain West and the most by a UNLV squad since 2001-02 (78.3).
UTAH STATE (13-12, 5-9 MW)
- Utah State has won two of its last three games, and will go on the road to Nevada on Wednesday, Feb. 24. The Aggies fell 89-84 at home to the Wolf Pack on Jan. 30. In the last four meetings, Utah State has won three times.
- On the season, Utah State’s bench has outscored its opponent’s in 19 games, compiling a 12-7 record.
- The Aggies are 12-2 on the year when leading at halftime, losing only to UNLV and Boise State. USU is 11-2 when scoring at least 70 points. Similarly, it is undefeated (8-0) when limiting its opponents to fewer than 70 points.
WYOMING (13-15, 6-9 MW)
- Coming off a big victory over rival Colorado State, Wyoming will host San Diego State on Wednesday, Feb. 24. The Cowboys have lost 11 of the last 13 meetings against the Aztecs.
- Senior guard Josh Adams leads the Mountain West and ranks fourth nationally, averaging 24.5 points per game and pouring in 636 total points. Adams has scored more than 20 points in 18 of the Cowboys 28 contests, including eight games with at least 30, which is tied for second nationally.
- Junior Jason McManamen ranks 12th nationally and leads the Mountain West with a 3-point field goal percentage of 46.1. This percentage is fifth-best nationally among all players with at least 150 3-point attempts.