Mountain West Players of the Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Boise State junior running back Jay Ajayi has been named Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while New Mexico freshman linebacker Kimmie Carson and Air Force senior kicker/punter Will Conant earned MW Defensive and Special Teams honors, respectively. It is the third career MW weekly accolade for Ajayi, second for Conant and first for Carson.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
JAY AJAYI, BOISE STATE
Junior, Running Back, Plano, Texas / Frisco Liberty HS
- Gained 229 yards on 27 carries and scored five touchdowns to lead then-No. 25/25 Boise State to the Mountain Division title with a 50-19 victory over Utah State.
- Averaged 8.5 yards per rush against an Aggies defense that entered the game ranked No. 17 in the FBS and first in the MW in rushing yards allowed (116.5).
- The five touchdowns matched a Boise State single-game record and was one shy of the MW single-game record.
- Eclipsed 100 yards for the ninth time this season, tying a Bronco single-season record.
- Has scored three-plus touchdowns in seven games this season.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KIMMIE CARSON, NEW MEXICO
Freshman, Linebacker, Tulsa, Oklahoma / East Central HS
- Had 16 tackles (six solo), two tackles for loss and one sack in New Mexico’s 36-30 win over Wyoming.
- Deflected a Wyoming pass in the first quarter that was intercepted by teammate Cranston Jones and returned 19 yards for a touchdown to give the Lobos a 7-3 lead.
- Tackled Wyoming’s Brian Hill at the 4-yard line on third-and-goal with 18 seconds remaining in the game to keep the Cowboys out of the end zone and secure the Lobo victory.
- His sack forced Wyoming to settle for a third quarter field goal.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
WILL CONANT, AIR FORCE
Senior, Kicker / Punter, Edmond, Oklahoma / Edmond Memorial HS
- Kicked the game-winning 39-yard field goal on the last play of the game to help Air Force beat then-No. 21/21 Colorado State 27-24.
- Also made a 33-yard field goal and three PATs to finish with nine points.
- Averaged 52.9 yards on seven punts.
- Five punts went for 50-plus yards and three were placed inside the 20-yard line.