Mountain West Women's Swimming & Diving Quick Hits - 11/21/14
- With nine of the 10 Mountain West women’s swimming & diving teams spread out across the country, the popular Meet Mobile app is getting a workout on everyone’s mobile devices. MW teams are competing in eight different invitationals over the weekend, November 20-23.
- In the eastern part of the country, Colorado State is competing at the Georgia Tech Invitational, while the Air Force diving team is in North Carolina at the Nike Cup. The Air Force swimmers are participating in the TYR Invitational at Northwestern in Evanston, Ill.
- Several teams are competing in the central section of the nation. New Mexico and UNLV swimmers are at the Mizzou Invite and Boise State swimmers are at the Texas A&M Art Adamson Invitational. The divers from all three teams are staying closer to home at the Arizona Wildcat Diving Invitational.
- Wyoming sent several divers to a lower altitude for the weekend, as the Cowgirls compete at the Texas Diving Invitational in Austin.
- And in East Los Angeles, Fresno State, San Diego State and San José State are competing in the A3 Performance Invitational, formerly the Arena Invitational.
- How are the teams doing so far this season?
Air Force – 2-4
Boise State – 3-0
Colorado State – 3-3
Fresno State – 3-3
Nevada – 5-0 (best start since the 2011-12 season)
New Mexico – 5-2
San Diego State – 9-0 (have won 68 of their last 69 head-to-head meets)
San José State – 5-0
UNLV – 1-2
Wyoming – 6-0
- Boise State picked up three NCAA B standards during competition on November 20 at Texas A&M. Junior Sam Wicks recorded two of the marks with a 22.93 in the 50-yard freestyle preliminaries and a 1:59.23 in the 200-yard individual medley preliminaries. The time in the 200-IM is also a Boise State record. Sophomore Brittany Aoyama earned her second B-qualifying time with a 22.75 in the 50-yard freestyle preliminaries.
- Several Mountain West swimmers are ranked among the Top-25 in the nation in their respective events, according to USASwimming.com:
- 50 Freestyle: 23. Anika Apostalon, San Diego State
- 100 Freestyle: 19. Anika Apostalon, San Diego State; 24. Brittany Aoyama, Boise State
- 1,650 Freestyle: 21. Genevieve Miller, Air Force
- 100 Butterfly: 19. Brittany Aoyama, Boise State
- 200 Freestyle Relay: 24. San Diego State
- 400 Freestyle Relay: 20. Boise State
- 800 Freestyle Relay: 15. Air Force; 18. San José State; 21. Fresno State
- Mountain West swimmers have posted NCAA qualifying times (all ‘B’ cut).
- 50 freestyle: Brittany Aoyama, Boise State; Sam Wicks, Boise State; Anika Apostalon, San Diego State; Chelsea Bailey, San Diego State
- 100 freestyle: Anika Apostalon, San Diego State
- 500 freestyle: Riley Spitser, San José
- 100 butterfly: Brittany Aoyama, Boise State - 200 individual medley: Sam Wicks, Boise State; Natilee Ruiz, San Diego State - 200 freestyle relay: San Diego State (Apostalon, Bailey, Weisz, Johnson)
- Several Mountain West divers have qualified for NCAA Zones in all three events.
- Keely Bishop, Wyoming (1M)
- Kari Campbell, Wyoming (1M; 3M)
- Alexandra Caplan, San Diego State (1M; 3M)
- Isabelle Choquehuanca, San Diego State (1M; 3M)
- Mary Kate Hardy, Colorado State (1M)
- Shelbie Holden, Fresno State (1M; 3M)
- Erin Kohlbeck, Boise State (1M; 3M)
- Karli Kriewall, Boise State (3M)
- Ariana Milone, Colorado State (1M; 3M)
- Marissa O’Quinn, San José State (1M; 3M)
- Krysta Palmer, Nevada (1M; 3M)
- Cari Reiswig, San José State (1M; 3M)
- Lacie Ruth, Fresno State (1M)
- Emily Williams, Colorado State (1M)
- The Conference champion will be determined Feb. 18-21 at the 2015 Mountain West Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships at the Palo Alto College Aquatic Center in San Antonio, Texas.