Mountain West Announces Indoor Track & Field Athletes Of The Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – New Mexico’s Luke Caldwell has been named Mountain West Men’s Indoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week, while San Diego State’s Shanieka Thomas earned the MW Women’s Indoor Track & Field Athlete of Week honors for meets held Feb. 11-16. It is the fifth career MW weekly accolade for Caldwell (second indoor), and sixth for Thomas (fifth indoor).
MEN’S ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
LUKE CALDWELL, NEW MEXICO
Senior, Betchworth, England/University of Oxford
- Finished third in the 5000 Meters at the Husky Classic in Seattle, Wash., on Feb. 15.
- His time of 13:42.50 was just two seconds off his personal and school record (13:40.39) set at last year’s Husky Classic.
- He now holds two of the top-three 5000 Meters times in Mountain West history.
- The 13:42.50 mark is currently tops in the Mountain West and fifth in the nation this season.
WOMEN’S ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
SHANIEKA THOMAS, SAN DIEGO STATE
Senior, St. Andrew, Jamaica/Vere Technical
- Won the Triple Jump in her season debut last weekend at the New Mexico-hosted Don Kirby Elite Invitational.
- Beat out 27 other competitors with a jump of 45’-3.00’’.
- That clearance currently leads the Conference and the nation.
- The 45’-3.00’’ is the second-best Triple Jump all-time in the MW. Thomas owns the Conference record at 46’-2.50’’.