MW Men's Basketball Player of the Week 12/29/14
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - UNLV sophomore forward Christian Wood has been named Mountain West Men’s Basketball Player of the Week for games played through Sunday, Dec. 28. It is the first career MW weekly accolade for Wood.
MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Christian Wood, UNLV
Sophomore, Forward, Long Beach, California / Findlay College Prep
• Recorded back-to-back double-doubles while averaging 23.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game as UNLV went 2-0 last week with wins over then-No. 3/3 Arizona (71-67) and Southern Utah (79-45).
• Scored a career- and game-high 24 points and pulled down a team-best 10 rebounds against Arizona.
• Shot 10-of-17 from the field against the Wildcats and made all four of his free-throw attempts. Also blocked two shots and dished out one assist in 34 minutes of action.
• Netted 16 of his 24 points in the second half, including tipping in a missed layup attempt to even the score at 62 with 5:20 remaining.
• Grabbed a personal-best and game-high 14 rebounds versus Southern Utah. Scored 22 points on 9-of-12 shooting from the field, including 2-of-2 from 3-point range. He also blocked five shots in 31 minutes of play.
• For the week, was 19-of-29 (.655) from the field and a perfect 6-of-6 at the free-throw line.
2014 Mountain West Men's Basketball Players of the Week
Nov. 17 – David Collette, Fr., F, Utah State
Nov. 24 – Daniel Bejarano, Sr., G, Colorado State
Dec. 1 – Winston Shepard, Jr., F, San Diego State
Dec. 8 – Derrick Marks, Sr., G, Boise State
Dec. 15 – Max Yon, Sr., G, Air Force
Dec. 22 – Deshawn Delaney, Sr., G, New Mexico
Dec. 29 – Christian Wood, So., F, UNLV