Mountain West Announces Men's Golfers Of The Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – New Mexico junior Gavin Green and UNLV junior Kurt Kitayama have been selected Mountain West Men’s Co-Golfers of the Week for tournaments played March 4-11. This is the second MW weekly accolade for both student-athletes.
GAVIN GREEN, NEW MEXICO
Junior, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia / Sri KDU HS
- Finished tied for second at the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters, March 7-9. His 3-over-par 219 (71-74-74) helped the Lobos finish at even-par 288 in the final round, a 19-stroke improvement from their Round 2 score and a 22-stroke improvement from their first-round score.
- Had a four-hole span on the back-nine in which he went five under par to put him in contention.
- His 2-under 70 was his lowest round of the spring season.
KURT KITAYAMA, UNLV
Junior, Chico, Calif. / Chico HS
- Recorded the best finish of his collegiate career with a second-place tie at the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters. His 3-over par 219 helped UNLV to the team title.
- Carded a 54-hole total of 3-over par 219 on the par 72, 7,374 course. He opened the tournament with a pair of 3-over 74’s, and sat in a tie for eighth-place. He closed out the week with a 1-under 71 in the final round.
- Seven of the top-10 teams in the country participated in the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters, as did 20 of the top-30 ranked individuals.
2014 MW Men’s Golfer of the Week – Spring Season
February 12 – Logan France, So., Boise State/Ty Travis, Jr., Boise State/Seokown Jeon, So., Utah State
February 26 – Rhyne Jones, Fr., Nevada
March 4 – Ryan Westmoreland, Sr., Air Force
March 13 – Gavin Green, Jr., New Mexico/Kurt Kitayama, Jr., UNLV
2013 MW Men’s Golfer of the Month – Fall Season
September – Cody Blick, So., San José State
October – Ty Travis, Jr., Boise State