Mountain West Announces Men's & Women's Tennis Players Of The Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – San Diego State freshman Hendrik Jebens has been named Mountain West Men’s Tennis Player of the Week, while Utah State junior McKenzie Davis earned MW Women’s Tennis Player of the Week honors for matches played Feb. 12-18. It is the second MW weekly accolade this season for Davis, and first for Jebens.
MEN’S PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Freshman, Stuttgart, Germany/Merz-Schule
- Went a combined 4-0 in singles and doubles play to help lead No. 57 San Diego State to victories over No. 66 BYU (6-1) and Conference foe UNLV (4-3) last week.
- Playing in the No. 4 singles slot, Jebens took down the Cougars’ Jeremy Bourgeois in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Against the Rebels, he outlasted Willie Sublette in three sets, 6-5 (7-4), 6-5 (8-6), to give the Aztecs a 3-1 lead in the match.
- He and partner Freddy Gelbrich won both of their No. 2 doubles matches, clinching the doubles point in the BYU match with a 6-4 win over Sterling Galli and Jeremy Bourgeois. Against UNLV, Jebens and Gelbrich topped Tamas Batyi and Dimitar Petrov, 6-2, to help San Diego State secure the doubles point.
WOMEN’S PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MCKENZIE DAVIS, UTAH STATE
Junior, Salt Lake City, Utah/Cottonwood HS
- Won all three of her No. 1 singles matches as Utah State went 2-1 last week, defeating in-state rival Weber State (6-1) and Eastern Washington (7-0), while falling to Idaho (5-2).
- Lost just one of the seven singles sets she played. Davis defeated Agata Bachanek of Weber State, 6-3, 6-2, Victoria Lozano of Idaho, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 and Moira Hedberg of Eastern Washington, 6-2, 6-3.
- Partnered with Kallie Sperry at No. 1 doubles, where they breezed past the Weber State, 8-4, fell to Idaho, 8-3, then slipped past Eastern Washington, 8-7.