Top-Seeded San Diego State Rallies Past Utah State, Advances To Final

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Top-seeded San Diego State rallied back from two one-goal deficits to slip past No. 5 Utah State 3-2 in a 2013 Mountain West Women’s Soccer Championship semifinal match at the UNM Soccer Complex.

San Diego State (12-6-2) will take on No. 3 Boise State (13-6-3) in Saturday’s 1 p.m. MT championship match, which will be available live and for free on the Mountain West Network.

"We are excited to get the win tonight and Utah State played such a great game with a lot of heart,” San Diego State head coach Mike Friesen said. “We didn't do ourselves any favors by going down twice but a lot of resilient play from us just to come back and win that game; it sets us up to be in Saturday's game and give us a chance at a championship, which is what we're here for, but obviously that's what Boise State is here for too, so it's going to be a tough match." 

Albuquerque, N.M. native Victoria Barba had a hand in all three San Diego State goals. The sophomore midfielder assisted on the first and game-winning goals, and netted her own on a cracking strike to the top left corner of the goal from 25 yards out that evened the score 2-2 in the 55th minute.

Utah State (10-7-5) grabbed an early 1-0 lead when senior midfielder Shay Haddow scored off an assist from freshman midfielder Jayne Robison in the 15th minute. The Aztecs evened the score nine minutes later on a goal from senior midfielder Sophie Metz.

The Aggies jumped on the attack immediately after halftime and took their second lead of the match as senior forward Jennifer Flynn knocked in a rebound off a shot from freshman midfielder/forward Jessica Brooksby.

From that point on, the Aztecs dominated the possession, leading to two straight goals that ultimately sealed Utah State’s fate.

"It was a good tough game, but we came up short,” Utah State head coach Heather Cairns. “San Diego State is a good team and I couldn't be any more proud of my team."