Mountain West Cross Country Athletes Of The Week
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – New Mexico’s Luke Caldwell was named Mountain West Men’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week, while Boise State’s Emma Bates earned MW Women’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week honors for meets contested Sept. 30 through Oct 6. It is the fourth-career MW weekly accolade for Caldwell, and second for Bates.
MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
LUKE CALDWELL, NEW MEXICO
Senior, Betchworth, England/University of Oxford (England)
- Finished second at the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend, Ind., on Oct. 4.
- His time of 24:22.3 on the 5-mile course was less than four seconds off the individual title.
- Guided the No. 16 Lobos to a sixth-place finish in the team standings.
WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
EMMA BATES, BOISE STATE
R-Junior, Elk River, Minn./Elk River HS
- Set a new personal best in the 5K (16:35) at the Bill Dellinger Invite in Springfield, Ore., on Oct. 5.
- Her time equaled that of race winner Alexa Efrainson (unattached), but was edged out at the finish line and finished second.
- Was the first collegiate runner to cross the finish line, and was 13 seconds faster than the third-place finisher.