Mountain West Baseball Weekly Release
The Mountain West Network powered by Campus Insiders will live stream 12 MW baseball games from May 13-17.
New Mexico (18-9) is currently in first place in the Mountain West standings with UNLV in a close second at 17-10. Nevada and San Diego State are tied for third at 15-12. MW teams play 30 intra-league games to determine a regular-season champion and seeding for the 2014 Mountain West Baseball Championship, May 21-25, at Earl E. Wilson Stadium in Las Vegas.
San Diego State senior Tim Zier became the Aztecs’ all-time leader in career hits on May 4 with No. 284. The second baseman currently ranks ninth in the MW with 289.
New Mexico senior Josh Walker is two wins away from becoming the Mountain West’s all-time leader in victories. Over three seasons, Walker has recorded 26 wins. Kyle Winkler of TCU holds the record with 27 from 2009-11.
Five Mountain West student-athletes were named to the 2014 Capital One® Academic All-District Baseball Teams as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America. UNLV pitcher Erick Fedde, Fresno State catcher Trent Woodward, Nevada infielder Scott Kaplan and San Diego State outfielder Greg Allen represent District 8, while New Mexico infielder Sam Haggerty was the lone MW honoree from District 7.
Air Force sophomore outfielder Spencer Draws earned national Player of the Week honors from Collegiate Baseball on April 21. San Diego State sophomore pitcher Bubba Derby earned the honor on April 7.
2014 WATCH LISTS
- National Pitcher of the Year Award: Michael Cederoth, San Diego State
- NCBWA Stopper of the Year Award: Michael Cederoth, San Diego State; Victor Sanchez, New Mexico
- Brooks Wallace Shortstop of the Year Award: Jared Holley, New Mexico
- Golden Spikes Award (Top 30): Erick Fedde, UNLV; Jordan Luplow, Fresno State
- Johnny Bench Award (Catcher of the Year): Alex Real, New Mexico
- Gregg Olson Award (Breakout Player of the Year): Bryan Bonnell, UNLV; Jordan Luplow, Fresno State; Victor Sanchez, New Mexico