No. 3 San Diego State Downs No. 6 Air Force In MW Championship Quarterfinals
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – In the first match of the 2016 Mountain West Men’s Tennis Championship, No. 3 seed San Diego State knocked off No. 6 seed Air Force, 4-0, at the Fertitta Tennis Complex on the campus of UNLV. With the victory, the Aztecs improve to 11-13 overall on the season and advance to Saturday’s semifinal round where they will face the winner of the No. 2 seed Boise State and No. 7 seed Nevada. Air Force concludes its season with a 7-18 overall mark.
San Diego State secured the first point of the match with wins at the No. 3 and No. 1 doubles positions. Freddy Gelbrich and Marko Goles-Babic downed Andrew Parks and Isaac Perez, 6-2, before Santiago Cevallos and Milen Ianakiev clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 victory over Jack McCullers and Tadhg Collins.
The Aztecs carried their momentum into singles play with straight-set victories at the No. 3, 4 and 5 positions. Ianakiev picked up the second point of the match for SDSU with a 6-1, 6-1 win against Air Force’s Max Olson. Sander Gjoels-Andersen extended San Diego State’s advantage with a victory over Perez, 6-1, 6-4. Goles-Babic clinched the match for the Aztecs with a win over Luke Sanderson, 7-5, 6-1.
San Diego State’s semifinal match is scheduled for 3 p.m. PT on Saturday and can be viewed live and for free on the Mountain West Network. For more information on the 2016 Mountain West Men’s Tennis Championship, including live stats and live video links, visit the Championship Central page on TheMW.com.
San Diego State 4, Air Force 0
1. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) vs. Jack McCullers (AFA) 7-6 (8-6), 1-4, unfinished
2. Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) vs. Andrew Parks (AFA) 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
3. Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) def. Max Olson (AFA) 6-1, 6-1
4. S. Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) def. Isaac Perez (AFA) 6-1, 6-4
5. Marko Goles-Babic (SDSU) def. Luke Sanderson (AFA) 7-5, 6-1
6. Raul de la Torre (SDSU) vs. Tadhg Collins (AFA) 2-6, 4-3, unfinished
1. Santiago Cevallos/Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) def. Jack McCullers/Tadhg Collins (AFA) 6-2
2. S. Gjoels-Andersen/Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) vs. Lucas Fumagalli/Luke Sanderson (AFA) 4-3, unfinished
3. Freddy Gelbrich/Marko Goles-Babic (SDSU) def. Andrew Parks/Isaac Perez (AFA) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,4,5)