No. 4 UNLV Downs No. 8 Fresno State To Advance To MW Championship Final
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – No. 4 seed UNLV defeated No. 8 seed Fresno State, 4-2, on Saturday to advance to the title match of the 2016 Mountain West Men’s Tennis Championship. The Rebels (14-9) will be making their first appearance in the Championship final since the 2007 season. Fresno State, which beat the No. 1 seed Utah State in the quarterfinals, concludes its season with a 10-17 overall mark.
UNLV won the doubles point to jump out to a 1-0 advantage in the match. Jakob Amilon and Ruben Alberts knocked off Patrik Pech and Euan McIntosh at the No. 1 position, 6-2. Alexandr Cozbinov and Richard Solberg followed with a win at No. 3 against Youssef Hassan and Mantas Bugailiskis, 6-3.
The Bulldogs earned the first point in singles play to even the contest at 1-1. Hassan ousted Adam Gage-Brown, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 5 position.
UNLV captured the next two points with wins at the No. 1 and No. 6 spots. Amilon downed Nikolas Papic, 6-1, 7-6 (3), before Solberg knocked off Jeremy Moser, 6-3, 6-4.
Bugailiskis pulled Fresno State to within one, at 3-2, with a victory versus Alberts, 6-2, 6-4, in the No. 3 position.
Neto put a stop to the Bulldogs rally with a win against Pech, 7-6 (1), 4-6, 6-3, at No. 4. The victory sealed the 4-2 win for the Rebels and pushed them into the title match.
Sunday’s Championship final between No. 2 Boise State and No. 4 UNLV can be viewed live and for free on the Mountain West Network. The match is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m. PT. For more information on the 2016 Mountain West Men’s Tennis Championship, including live stats and live video links, visit the Championship Central page on TheMW.com.
UNLV 4, Fresno State 2
1. Jakob Amilon (UNLV) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Alexandr Cozbinov (UNLV) vs. Euan McIntosh (FS) 6-2, 6-7, 5-4, unfinished
3. Mantas Bugailiskis (FS) def. Ruben Alberts (UNLV) 6-2, 6-4
4. Evaldo Neto (UNLV) def. Patrik Pech (FS) 7-6 (7-1), 4-6, 6-3
5. Youssef Hassan (FS) def. Adam Gage-Brown (UNLV) 6-2, 6-3
6. Richard Solberg (UNLV) def. Jeremy Moser (FS) 6-3, 6-4
1. Jakob Amilon/Ruben Alberts (UNLV) def. Patrik Pech/Euan McIntosh (FS) 6-2
2. Adam Gage-Brown/Evaldo Neto (UNLV) vs. Nikolas Papic/Jeremy Moser (FS) 4-5, unfinished
3. Alexandr Cozbinov/Richard Solberg (UNLV) def. Youssef Hassan/Mantas Bugailiskis (FS) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,1,6,3,4)