No. 8 Fresno State Upsets Top Seed Utah State In MW Championship Quarterfinals
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – No. 8 seed Fresno State stunned Mountain West regular-season champion and No. 1 seed Utah State, 4-2, in the quarterfinals of the Men’s Tennis Championship at the Fertitta Tennis Complex on the campus of UNLV. The Bulldogs (10-16) become the first eight seed to defeat a No. 1 seed in Men’s Tennis Championship history. Utah State, which won its first MW regular-season title in school history this season, concludes the year with a 21-8 overall record.
Fresno State claimed the first point of the match with wins at the No. 3 and No. 1 doubles positions. Youssef Hassan and Mantas Bugailiskis won at No. 3 over the Aggies’ Jaime Barajas and Samuel Serrano, 6-3. Utah State evened the doubles matches at 1-1 with a victory from the No. 2 doubles pair of Andrew Nakajima and Luis Lopez over Nikolas Papic and Jeremy Moser, 6-4. The Bulldogs secured the doubles point with a hard-fought win at the top spot from Patrik Pech and Euan McIntosh against Jack Swindells and Jonas Maier, 7-6 (5).
In singles action, McIntosh quickly extended the Bulldogs lead to 2-0 with a straight-set win versus Swindells, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2. Utah State answered back with a win at the No. 4 position from Lopez over Pech, 6-2, 6-2.
Papic pushed the Fresno State lead back to two, at 3-1, by knocking off Barajas in the No. 1 position, 6-4, 6-4. Maier kept the Aggies in the match with a come-from-behind win at No. 3 over Bugailiskis, 4-6, 6-0, 6-0.
Moser sealed the upset for Fresno State at the No. 6 position. The freshman edged Nakajima in the first set, 7-5, before winning 6-4 in the second frame to give the Bulldogs the 4-2 victory.
Fresno State advances to the Saturday’s semifinals to face the winner of the match featuring the No. 4 seed UNLV Rebels and the No. 5 seed New Mexico Lobos. The match can be viewed live and for free on the Mountain West Network. For more information on the 2016 Mountain West Men’s Tennis Championship, including live stats and live video links, visit the Championship Central page on TheMW.com.
Fresno State 4, Utah State 2
1. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Jaime Barajas (US) 6-4, 6-4
2. Euan McIntosh (FS) def. Jack Swindells (US) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jonas Maier (US) def. Mantas Bugailiskis (FS) 4-6, 6-0, 6-0
4. Luis Lopez (US) def. Patrik Pech (FS) 6-2, 6-2
5. Samuel Serrano (US) vs. Youssef Hassan (FS) 6-4, 2-6, 3-3, unfinished
6. Jeremy Moser (FS) def. Andrew Nakajima (US) 7-5, 6-4
1. Patrik Pech/Euan McIntosh (FS) def. Jack Swindells/Jonas Maier (US) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Andrew Nakajima/Luis Lopez (US) def. Nikolas Papic/Jeremy Moser (FS) 6-4
3. Youssef Hassan/Mantas Bugailiskis (FS) def. Jaime Barajas/Samuel Serrano (US) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,1,3,6)