San Diego State in Lead After Day Two of 2012 MW Swimming & Diving Championships
Feb. 23, 2012
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. - San Diego State moved into first place on day two of the 2012 Mountain West Swimming and Diving Championships at the Oklahoma City Community College Aquatic Center in Oklahoma City, Okla. The Aztecs pace the field with 299 points through eight events, just four points ahead of Boise State, which is in second with 295 points. UNLV is third in the standings with 210 points, followed by New Mexico (185), Wyoming (176), Colorado State (121), TCU (118) and Air Force (79).
- Boise State seniors Amber Boucher and Stephanie North had a record-setting day in the 50-yard freestyle. In the sixth heat of the afternoon preliminaries, North touched the wall in 22.44, but her time was topped by Boucher, who finished the eighth heat in 22.43. At the time, both marks were all-time bests in the Mountain West. The pair went on to secure a 1-2 finish in the finals, as Boucher knocked off 0.12 seconds to establish a league record at 22.31. It is the second MW record set by Boucher during the 2012 Championships. North was just .02 seconds behind at 22.33. Wyoming's Cassie Stelow set the previous record of 22.45 at the 2010 championship meet.
- Boucher and North also helped Boise State break the Mountain West record in the 400-yard medley relay to start the evening finals' session. Jessica Bottelberghe, Sydney Johansen, Boucher and North combined for a time of 3:35.59 in the event, and were joined by UNLV (3:38.40) and Wyoming (3:38.88) on the medals stand.
- Boise State's Sydney Johansen followed up her 400-yard medley relay win with a victory in the 200-yard individual medley. The freshman recorded a Bronco record of 1:59.93 in the race.
- UNLV sophomore Jessica Heim won the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:46.67. At the 2011 Championships, Heim placed eighth in the event as a rookie.
- New Mexico senior Ashlee Erickson won her second springboard event of the Championships with a 326.35 on the 3-meter board. Erickson won the 1-meter event on Wednesday night.
Day three events begin with the 400-yard individual medley preliminaries at 11 a.m. CT. The finals competition starts at 6 p.m. CT with the 200-yard freestyle relay. The 2012 MW Swimming and Diving Championships conclude Saturday, February 26.
For more information on the 2012 Mountain West Swimming & Diving Championships, follow the MW on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TheMWC and www.Twitter.com/TheMWCOlySports. For the latest news from around the league, become a Facebook fan at www.Facebook.com/MountainWestConference and read the league's official blog at www.TheMWC.com/blog.