Shanieka Thomas Wins Triple Jump at New Mexico
Jan. 19, 2013
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Shanieka Thomas won the triple jump with the best mark in the nation this year to lead the 20th-ranked San Diego State track and field team at New Mexico's Cherry and Silver Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M.
Thomas defeated 26 others in the event with a mark of 44 feet, 2 ½ inches (13.47 meters). It was the top mark in the country this season (according to TFRRS.org), the second best in school history (indoor) and was 3-02.75 farther than the runner-up finisher Estefany Cruz of Tulane (40-11.75). Thomas also was fourth of 56 entrants in the long jump at 19-02.50 (5.85m).
Kristen Brown, meanwhile, made her Aztec debut a good one, finishing with a pair of top-10 marks in SDSU indoor history. The Virginia Tech transfer was fourth in the finals of the 60-meter hurdles in 8.56 seconds (No. 8 all-time at San Diego State) after an 8.71 time in the prelims. She was also fourth in the pole vault at 12-11.50 (3.95m), which ranks fifth all-time in Aztec indoor history.
Karen Snapper was the final SDSU athlete to log a top-10 mark by tying for ninth in the pole vault at 12-05.50 (3.80m). That ties her for 10th on the school's all-time indoor charts.
Allison Reaser, the two-time defending champion in both the indoor pentathlon and outdoor heptathlon, had a solid first meet as well, taking third in the 60 hurdles (8.48), 13th in the long jump (17-11.50/5.47m) and 22nd in the shot put (37-01.75/11.32m).
Alex Evans came in fifth in the triple jump (39-10.75/12.16m) and just missed qualifying for the finals in the 60 hurdles, taking 17th in 9.03. Jasmine Burrell had San Diego State's other top-10 showing, taking seventh in the shot put with a throw of 46-02.00 (14.07m).
Wrapping up the day for the Aztecs was the 4x400-meter relay team of Thomas, Reaser, Maderia Toatley and Roberson, which took fourth in 3:50.26, just off an all-time top-10 mark at SDSU (10th is 3:49.63).
San Diego State returns to Albuquerque in two weeks at the New Mexico Classic on Feb. 1-2.
Cherry and Silver Invitational
Albuquerque Convention Center - Albuquerque, N.M.
January 19, 2013
No Team Scores
800 Meters (out of 28 entrants)
1. Ashley Atkin (Northern Colorado) - 2:17.26
--. LaQuisha Jackson (SDSU) - DNF
60-Meter Hurdles (prelims) (out of 52 entrants)
1. Janice Jackson (UTEP) - 8.41q
2. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 8.58q
6. Kristen Brown (SDSU) - 8.71q
14. Karsen Sper (SDSU) - 8.88q
17. Alex Evans (SDSU) - 9.03
26. Brittany Bozeman (SDSU) - 9.37
4x400-Meter Relay (out of 21 teams)
1. USC `A' (Vanessa Jones, Akawkaw Ndipagbor, Jaide Stepter, Ashley Liverpool) - 3:45.89
4. SDSU `A' (Shanieka Thomas, Allison Reaser, Maderia Toatley, Deyna Roberson) - 3:50.26
Long Jump (out of 56 entrants)
1. Alesha Walker (Unattached) - 6.03m (19-09.50)
4. Shanieka Thomas (SDSU) - 5.85m (19-02.50)
13. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 5.47m (17-11.50)
20t. Brittany Bozeman (SDSU) - 5.24m (17-02.25)
38. Karsen Sper (SDSU) - 4.89m (16-00.50)
Pole Vault (out of 30 entrants)
1. Rachel Fisher (Brigham Young) - 4.10m (13-05.25)
4. Kristen Brown (SDSU) - 3.95m (12-11.50) (No. 5 all-time at SDSU)
9t. Karen Snapper (SDSU) - 3.80m (12-05.50) (T-No. 10 all-time at SDSU)
15. Holly Waseloff (SDSU) - 3.50m (11-05.75)
--. Kelsy Hintz (SDSU) - NH
Shot Put (out of 41 entrants)
1. Alyssa Wisdom (Stanford) - 16.49m (54-01.25)
7. Jasmine Burrell (SDSU) - 14.07m (46-02.00)
13. Ellie Fanaika (Unattached - SDSU) - 12.54m (41-01.75)
22. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 11.32m (37-01.75)
33. Karsen Sper (SDSU) - 9.54m (31-03.75)