Thomas Betters NCAA-Best Triple Jump Mark at UNM
Feb. 2, 2013
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Shanieka Thomas bettered her NCAA-best triple jump mark and five others logged all-time school top-10 marks to lead the San Diego State track and field team Saturday at the New Mexico Classic.
Thomas beat out 21 other entrants in the triple jump with a personal-best leap of 44 feet, 4 inches (13.51m). The mark is the best in the country this season, the second-best indoor mark in school history and was well ahead of runner-up Toni Smith (unattached), who was the only other competitor to break 13 meters (42-09.00, 13.03m).
Kristen Brown continued to shine in her first season donning the Scarlet and Black as she posted all-time top-10 marks in both the 60-meter hurdles and the pole vault. Brown, a Virginia Tech transfer, ran the fastest 60-hurdle prelim time of 8.40 seconds and ended up finishing second in the finals in 8.41. The prelim time of 8.40 is the fourth-fastest time in program history.
Brown also led a group of three Aztec pole vaulters who set or tied all-time top 10 marks after taking second in 13-07.25 (4.15m). It bettered her mark of 12-11.50, set two weeks ago, and is the fifth best in school history. Kelsy Hintz finished sixth in the event at 12-11.50 (3.95m), while Holly Waseloff and Karen Snapper finished seventh and eighth, respectively, at 12-07.50 (3.85m), a mark which tied for ninth all-time at SDSU.
LaQuisha Jackson was the final San Diego State athlete to make the record books as she was fourth out of 37 in the 400 in 55.92. That is good for the ninth-fastest indoor 400 in program history.
Other top-10 marks on the day for the Aztecs came by Jasmine Burrell in the shot put (fifth, 48-10.75/14.90m), Alex Evans in the 60 hurdles (sixth, 8.77) and the triple jump (sixth, 40-04.25/12.30m), Nicole Oudenaarden in the shot put (seventh, 44-05.25/13.54m) and Deyna Roberson in the 400 (ninth, 57.60).
SDSU competes at the Albuquerque Convention Center for the third straight meet Feb. 8-9 at the prestigious Don Kirby Elite Invitational.
New Mexico Classic
Albuquerque Convention Center - Albuquerque, N.M.
Feb. 1-2, 2013
No Team Scores
Saturday's Individual Results
400 Meters (out of 37 entrants, including yesterday's runners)
1. Leslie Cole (Run With US) - 54.02
4. LaQuisha Jackson (SDSU) - 55.92 (No. 9 all-time at SDSU)
6. Shanieka Thomas (SDSU) - 56.85 (ran on Friday)
9. Deyna Roberson (SDSU) - 57.60
23. Maya Carter (SDSU) - 59.81
4x400-Meter Relay (out of 11 teams)
1. New Mexico State - 3:42.13
4. San Diego State (Oudenaarden, Toatley, Roberson, Carter) - 3:51.20
Pole Vault (out of 26 entrants)
1. Tori Pena (Ireland) - 14-03.25 (4.35m)
2. Kristen Brown (SDSU) - 13-07.25 (4.15m) (No. 5 all-time at SDSU)
6. Kelsy Hintz (SDSU) - 12-11.50 (3.95m)
7. Holly Waseloff (SDSU) - 12-07.50 (3.85m) (Tied-No. 9 all-time at SDSU)
8. Karen Snapper (SDSU) - 12-07.50 (3.85m) (Tied-No. 9 all-time at SDSU)
Shot Put (out of 28 entrants)
1. Julie Labonte (Arizona) - 56-10.25 (17.33m)
5. Jasmine Burrell (SDSU) - 48-10.75 (14.90m)
7. Nicole Oudenaarden (SDSU) - 44-05.25 (13.54m)
11. Brittany Gonter (SDSU) - 41-10.00 (12.75m)
--. Brittany Bozeman (SDSU) - ND