Thomas Logs No. 6 Triple Jump Mark in NCAA History
Feb. 8, 2013
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Shanieka Thomas posted the sixth-best indoor triple jump mark in NCAA track and field history to lead San Diego State at the prestigious Don Kirby Elite Invitational Friday night at the Albuquerque Convention Center in Albuquerque, N.M.
According to the USTFCCCA, Thomas' triple jump mark of 46 feet, 2 ½ inches (14.08 meters) was the sixth best in NCAA history and the third best in a non-NCAA Championship meet. Her mark won the meet by more than five feet (runner up was 41-01.75) and bettered Karoline Koehler's previous school record of 44-10.75, set in 2010, by more than a foot. Additionally, it was a Mountain West record, a Don Kirby Elite Invitational record (collegiate and non-collegiate) and extended her national lead this year. Thomas' mark of 46-02.50 would have won the last four NCAA indoor championships and 14 of the past 15 titles.
"Shanieka Thomas has got to be the best triple jumper in the NCAA right now," head coach Shelia Burrell said. "The 14.08 (meters) seemed like an average jump for her, which means she can duplicate tonight's performance. (Assistant) coach Carjay Lyles is doing an excellent job preparing her for her goal of making Olympic and World Championship teams."
Altogether, the Aztecs had nine individual marks which cracked the school's all-time top-10 list on the and one relay team.
Kristen Brown continued to show her versatility, recording SDSU all-time top-10 marks in two events. Brown finished third in the finals of the 60-meter hurdles in 8.35 seconds, which ranks third in school history, after running an 8.37 in the prelims. She later tied for sixth in the seeded pole vault, clearing 13-10.00 (4.22m), which is the fifth-best mark in program history.
"Kristen Brown had another stand out meet," Burrell said. "She had lifetime bests in both the 60 hurdles and pole vault. She was the only collegiate (pole vaulter) in the elite section and handled it beautifully. Tonight she jumped with one of the best pole vault fields put together this season and held her own."
The rest of the San Diego State pole vaulters had season or personal bests as well in the unseeded section, led by Kelsy Hintz, who was fifth in 13-02.25 (4.02m). Holly Waseloff and Karen Snapper, meanwhile, were eighth and 12th, respectively, at 12-10.25 (3.92m), which ties for sixth all-time at SDSU.
Nicole Oudenaarden and Allison Reaser also shined in their events. Oudenaarden was ninth in the 200 (24.67), 12th in the shot put (47-07.25 (14.51m)) (No. 4 all-time at SDSU) and long jump (18-08.00 (5.69m)), and 26th in the 60 hurdles (9.09).
Reaser, who missed last week's meet with the flu, was sixth in the 60 hurdles (8.51) after running a 8.49 in the prelims, 15th in the long jump (18-04.25 (5.59m)), and 17th in the high jump (5-02.25 (1.58m)) and shot put (38-08.25 (11.79m)).
Alex Evans was third in the triple jump (40-05.00 (12.32m)) and 14th in the long jump (18-05.25 (5.62m)), while Carrington Mahr tied for sixth in the high jump in a mark of 5-06.00 (1.68m), which is the fifth-best indoor jump in program history. Deyna Roberson was ninth in the 400 (57.01).
Jasmine Burrell (50-02.75 (15.31m)) (No. 2 all-time at SDSU) and Brittany Gonter (43-02.25 (13.16m)) (No. 6 all-time at SDSU) finished 10th and 15th, respectively, in the shot put in San Diego State top-10 marks. Additionally, Burrell was fifth in the weight throw in 62-05.25 (19.03m), while Ellie Fanaika finished 10th (59-00.00 (17.98m)).
The Aztecs ended the day in style, taking seventh in a competitive 4x400-meter relay. The team of Reaser, Maderia Toatley, Roberson and Thomas clocked a time of 3:44.41, which is the fifth-fastest time in SDSU's indoor history.
"We are on a mission to win," Burrell added. "We had so many people step up and have breakout performances tonight across many different disciplines. Niki Oudenaarden is knocking at the door of a couple of Canadian junior records, freshman Karen Snapper has improved every competition in the pole vault and Jasmine Burrell stepped up tonight in the shot put. Overall it was the night of the Aztecs. It was just a great team performance all around."
San Diego State travels to the Mountain West Indoor Championships from Feb. 21-23 in Nampa, Idaho.
Don Kirby Elite Invitational
Albuquerque Convention Center - Albuquerque, N.M.
Feb. 8, 2013
No Team Scores
Friday's Individual Results
60 Meters (prelims) (out of 21 entrants)
1. Geronne Black (Portland State) - 7.33q
--. Kristen Brown (SDSU) - FS
400 Meters (out of 20 entrants)
1. Georganne Moline (Arizona) - 52.27
9. Deyna Roberson (SDSU) - 57.01
60-Meter Hurdles (prelims) (out of 32 entrants)
1. Vashti Thomas (Academy of Art) - 8.15q
5. Kristen Brown (SDSU) - 8.37q
11. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 8.49q
26. Nicole Oudenaarden (SDSU) - 9.09
28. Brittany Bozeman (SDSU) - 9.33
29. Alex Evans (SDSU) - 9.41
4x400-Meter Relay (out of 10 teams)
1. Arizona State (Pinnick, Herring, Geren, Tate) - 3:35.06
7. SDSU (Al. Reaser, Toatley, Roberson, Thomas) - 3:44.41 (No. 5 all-time)
Pole Vault (seeded) (out of 10 entrants)
1. Kylie Hutson (Unattached) - 15-01.75 (4.62m)
6t. Kristen Brown (SDSU) - 13-10.00 (4.22m) (No. 5 all-time at SDSU)
Pole Vault (unseeded) (out of 17 entrants)
1. Shaylah Simpson (Arizona State) - 13-10.00 (4.22m)
5. Kelsy Hintz (SDSU) - 13-02.25 (4.02m)
8. Holly Waseloff (SDSU) - 12-10.25 (3.92m) (T-No. 6 all-time at SDSU)
12. Karen Snapper (SDSU) - 12-10.25 (3.92m) (T-No. 6 all-time at SDSU)
Long Jump (out of 30 entrants)
1. Christabel Nettey (Arizona State) - 21-05.50 (6.54m)
12. Nicole Oudenaarden (SDSU) - 18-08.00 (5.69m)
14. Alex Evans (SDSU) - 18-05.25 (5.62m)
15. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 18-04.25 (5.59m)
19. Brittany Bozeman (SDSU) - 17-11.00 (5.46m)
Shot Put (out of 22 entrants)
1. Julie Labonte (Arizona) - 56-08.50 (17.28m)
10. Jasmine Burrell (SDSU) - 50-02.75 (15.31m) (No. 2 all-time at SDSU)
12. Nicole Oudenaarden (SDSU) - 47-07.25 (14.51m) (No. 4 all-time at SDSU)
15. Brittany Gonter (SDSU) - 43-02.25 (13.16m) (No. 6 all-time at SDSU)
17. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 38-08.25 (11.79m)
18. Brittany Bozeman (SDSU) - 37-08.75 (11.50m)