Ashley, Burrell Set School Records at UNM Meet
Feb. 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Senior Whitney Ashley and redshirt freshman Jasmine Burrell each set a school record, and sophomore Shanieka Thomas automatically qualified for the NCAA Championships in the triple jump to lead the San Diego State track and field team at the Don Kirby Collegiate Elite Friday night in Albuquerque, N.M.
Ashley, Burrell and Thomas were two of eight Aztecs who posted 10 all-time top-10 marks in the team's final preparation before the Mountain West Indoor Track and Field Championships (Feb. 23-25).
Ashley broke her own school record in the shot put with a toss of 55 feet, 7 ½ inches, taking first of 20 competitors. It was the seventh-best shot put in the country this season and it was the third consecutive meet she broke her own school record (53-02.25 on Jan. 21, 54-06.75 on Jan. 28 and 55-07.50 today). Ashley, who is undefeated in the shot put this year, also took eighth in the weight throw with a personal-best heave of 62-05.00.
Burrell, meanwhile, broke Ashley's weight throw school record with a toss of 63-02.00 to finish seventh of the 18 entrants. It was 31st-best mark in the nation and over three feet (3-02.75) further than her previous best (Jan. 21). Burrell also took seventh in the shot put in 49-11.75, which only trails Ashley among the school's all-time indoor best.
Thomas continued to impress in the triple jump with a runner-up leap of 43-09.25. Thomas, who only lost to Nike representative Erica McLain (44-06.00), automatically qualified for the NCAA Championships with the jump. At press time, the mark of 43-09.25 is the best mark in the country and the second-best leap in school history.
Junior Kelsy Hintz continued to shine in the pole vault, tying for fourth with a vault of 13-04.25. It was the fourth-best indoor pole vault in school history and huge improvement from last weekend's personal-best 12-11.50. The 13-04.25 is also tied for the 23rd-best pole vault in the country this year.
On the track, junior Josefine Koskinen took second in the 800 meters in her season debut with a time of 2 minutes, 14.39 seconds. Reaser, meanwhile, was seventh in the 60-meter hurdles in a season-best time of 8.51.
Don Kirby Collegiate Elite
The Albuquerque Convention Center - Albuquerque, N.M.
February 10, 2012
No Team Scores
Individual Results (SDSU and top finisher only)
60 Meters (finals) (15 entrants)
1. English Gardner (Oregon) - 7.17
14. Shanae Roach (Unattached) - 7.74
200 Meters (24 entrants)
1. English Gardner (Oregon) - 23.34
17. Maderia Toatley (SDSU) - 25.23
600 Meters (4 entrants)
1. Nyjah Cousar (Ohio State) - 1:32.69
--. Tiara Collins (SDSU) - DNF
800 Meters (3 entrants)
1. Kylie Hirschi (Utah State) - 2:12.56
2. Josefine Koskinen (SDSU) - 2:14.39
60-Meter Hurdles (finals) (15 entrants)
1. Angela Dwhyte (Unattached) - 8.09
7. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 8.51
High Jump (12 entrants)
1. Taylor Burke (Florida) - 5-10.00
--. Carrington Mahr (SDSU) - NH
Pole Vault (17 entrants)
1t. April Kubishta (Unattached) - 13-10.00
1t. Tori Anthony (UCLA) - 13-10.00
4t. Kelsy Hintz (SDSU) - 13-04.25 (No. 4 all-time)
11. Heather Arseneau (SDSU) - 11-10.50
12t. Holly Waseloff (SDSU) - 11-10.50
Long Jump (22 entrants)
1. Arantxa King (Stanford) - 20-03.00
7. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 19-08.00 (No. 6 all-time)
10. Alex Evans (SDSU) - 19-00.00 (No. 8 all-time)
15. Julianne Alarcio (SDSU) - 18-05.75
Shot Put (20 entrants)
1. Whitney Ashley (SDSU) - 55-07.50 (school record)
7. Jasmine Burrell (SDSU) - 49-11.75 (No. 2 all-time)
15. Brittany Gonter (SDSU) - 43-02.25 (No. 6 all-time)
18. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 37-09.50
Weight Throw (18 entrants)
1. Kelly Closse (Texas Tech) - 70-11.25
7. Jasmine Burrell (SDSU) - 63-02.00 (school record)
8. Whitney Ashley (SDSU) - 62-05.00 (No. 2 all-time)
10. Ellie Fanaika (SDSU) - 58-02.50 (No. 3 all-time)